Thread: sarvis wood...

sarvis wood...

It is a new variety for me. It was a gift from a fellow wood turner. I think it came from North Georgia. This is a core from one of the two larger bowls. It turns VERY nice, kind of like wet cherry. I finished turned this one and another smaller one, the larger cored bowls are soaking in the DNA bath. This wood has a very nice contrast from the heart/sap wood. Comments a are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never heard of that, or at least by that name. But it's a beautiful wood, and that's a nice looking bowl...love the contrast!

The old pronunciation of service berry was sarvis berry.Might be that.Never heard of the wood being used for anything as the trees are small. Look up amelanchior,( spelling)?

I really like that. I have heard the dad talk about sarvis winter in the spring. I guess that is when they bloom. I'd like to know exactly what it is to see if I could find any down.

Never heard of it but it sure is pretty stuff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking bowl Russell! Never heard of that wood, but it sure is pretty!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well I got up this morning and both bowls had warped some, slightly oval. I knew they would move some, but it was a little more than I counted on. If you would like to know more about this wood, do a quick Google search for "sarvis tree".

With the dogwood blight, many folks in this area are planting sarvis (service berry) as a substitute ornamental. Very nice landscaping tree, but I have not seen any turned as the height of the tree rarely exceeds 25'. Looks like it was worth the effort and you were lucky to have such a nice piece. Good work!

Love the grain and coloring! First I have heard or seen this kind of wood. Hope you can find more!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I see references from time to time about a DNA bath but don't see it in the Acronym sticky. Can you tell me what that is?

Denatured alcohol

I have one in my front yard. Hard to believe it would ever be big enough to get turning wood. Somewhat reminiscent of dogwood. Has small white flowers that bloom, I believe, in February (sometime in winter anyway) and was used for winter funeral services, hence "service berry" which some in the area pronounced "sarvis berry" which seems to have stuck.

Bob,I've never heard that funeral use before ,interesting .Im going to look that up. But sarvis is definitely the old pronouciation ,just as clerk used to be pronounced 'Clark' . People used to make pies from the berries and they are good,but unfortunately the birds like them and don't need a ladder to get them. I once saw a flock of cedar wax wings in a couple of trees in the local botanical garden. When people got close to them they would retreat to a taller tree and complain until they could safely gorge.

I think this needs to soak for several days, it is so dense it may take longer to soak up. This was a large tree, the two bigger bowls are probably 10-12" across. The small bowls are still moving, guess they are going for the oval look. I may post update photos tomorrow. Thanks for the comments.

Sarvis is one of the first things to bloom in the spring. Tradition is that it was used to decorate the churches for spring or Easter service or (sarvis)
    Fred