Thread: Bags for Jet D/C

Bags for Jet D/C

So I went to pickup what I thought was a ShopFox d/c. Turned out it was a Jet 1100A. Got home and looked at the manual and it says it's a 30m bag. Any ideas for a better one?

Thanks

Talk to either American Fabric Filter Co. or Beane Filter bag. Each make great bags and also oversize bags which really improve the flow of the small baggers. Both can be found online. Dave

Consider going to Wynn Environmental and getting their cartridge retrofit for the 1100A. They make a high MERV filter kit for it, including mounting hardware.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

A couple of months ago I contacted Wynn Environmental and purchased a cartridge filter for my DC. It has made a huge difference! And the people at Wynn Environmental actually care about their customers!
    Epilog 45 watt, Graphtec cutter-plotter, Corel Graphics Suite X3 - X4, HP and Vaio computers, woodshop.

"Trust, but Verify"

Been looking at PSI and Wynn. Both seem to have excellent filters. I also noticed that PSI sales 1m bags. Sounds like though I need to just bite the bullet and get a filter I saved good money buying it used so maybe I can justify getting the filter vs. the bags. Decisions, decisions...

I'd talk to Wynn about the type of use and chips or dust you will creating. He gives fair advice. A cartridge on a bagger will increase the cfm but without a preseparator more stuff gets into the filter so you want one that is easily cleaned. You don't want one where the chips can get stuck in the pleats but will fall away. For fine dust I'd take the bags as banging them with a broom is easier than cleaning cartridges with compressed air. I run both types and prefer the cartridges with a cyclone. Dave

Been looking at PSI and Wynn. Both seem to have excellent filters. I also noticed that PSI sales 1m bags. Sounds like though I need to just bite the bullet and get a filter I saved good money buying it used so maybe I can justify getting the filter vs. the bags. Decisions, decisions...
    Hold on. Research and build a Thien baffle for your DC before you install a cartridge. They will significantly reduce the intervals between cleaning your pleated filter. This is important, since it's no picnic cleaning one of those filters. Plus, dirty filters get ruined much faster. The Thien baffle works great for DCs of that size.

On my old Jet 1100 DC, I installed a baffle between the upper and lower bags, inside the DC. It's basically a plywood ring, very simple to make and install. It sort of makes your DC into a primitive cyclone for the price of a piece of plywood. I would guess that it reduced the filter cleanings by a factor of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    ....than cleaning cartridges with compressed air.....
    Cleaning with compressed air is a no-no, as far as I know, with every paper filter media I've ever dealt with. K&N, the automotive performance filter guys, specifically say not to use compressed air. I know is applies to vacuum cleaner filters, too. In every application I know of it crushes the fibers and the filter never flows the same again.

Has anyone ever spoken to Wynn about this specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Hold on. Research and build a Thien baffle for your DC before you install a cartridge. They will significantly reduce the intervals between cleaning your pleated filter. This is important, since it's no picnic cleaning one of those filters. Plus, dirty filters get ruined much faster. The Thien baffle works great for DCs of that size.

On my old Jet 1100 DC, I installed a baffle between the upper and lower bags, inside the DC. It's basically a plywood ring, very simple to make and install. It sort of makes your DC into a primitive cyclone for the price of a piece of plywood. I would guess that it reduced the filter cleanings by a factor of 5.
    David is right about the Thien baffle. I put one in the bottom of the PSI D.C. funnel and it makes a huge difference, especially with larger stuff like saw dust and jointer/planer chips. I'm not so sure about something like a drum sander. A baffle would probably still help, but I suspect not as much as with larger stuff. I started out with a cartridge and no baffle. Bad idea. There were a LOT of chips and dust in the cartridge. With the Thien baffle there are virtually no chips and not much dust.

I got the Wynn spun bond filter. I vacuumed the inside as best I could then washed it out with a garden hose. There was still a fair amount of fine dust in the pleats. I think the Wynn spun bond filter is the only one that can be washed out. You do need to give it quite a while to dry if you wash it out, like a day or two in good drying conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Cleaning with compressed air is a no-no, as far as I know, with every paper filter media I've ever dealt with. K&N, the automotive performance filter guys, specifically say not to use compressed air. I know is applies to vacuum cleaner filters, too. In every application I know of it crushes the fibers and the filter never flows the same again.

Has anyone ever spoken to Wynn about this specifically?
    Wynn told me that 60-70 psi air held no closer than 12-18" from the cartridge is the way to clean the nano filters. Keep in mind that commercial cartridge systems use pulse jet cleaning although mostly the dirty air is outside and the clean air inside rather than how the cartridges are used in a hobby system. Commercial cartridges are not washed, just pulsed. Dave