Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am not certain of Rod's budget, but I would like to have some of his tools...
    LOL........Well Rich, the budget is pretty small this year.......I have all that ash for flooring (that's why I built a band mill last year), the shaper knives for the flooring were about $130, that may be the sum total of my tool expenditures this year except for some accessories for the Hammer B3 which have apparently arrived at Felder, pick them up next week......Rod.

I try not to think about this topic too much because I do this as an outlet, but the past year or so have been REALLY heavy cost-wise because I expanded the shop (added about 60% more space, put in hard wood floors, re-ran all ductwork, put in 3-phase power) and went from a Minimax Combo to separates. It all has come to about $WAYTOOMUCHTOADMIT.

Way less than my wife spends on her hobbies, clothes, shoes, cars, horses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Waddell View Post
    I try not to think about this topic too much because I do this as an outlet, but the past year or so have been REALLY heavy cost-wise because I expanded the shop (added about 60% more space, put in hard wood floors, re-ran all ductwork, put in 3-phase power) and went from a Minimax Combo to separates. It all has come to about $WAYTOOMUCHTOADMIT.
    Well I think most of us don't like to admit what the costs are, but most of us likely don't have your costs in the last year. I heard three phase was cost prohibitive in a residential area.

$6,000 last year and already $3,000 this year.

Wondering if I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bickle View Post

Welcome to the dark side.....wait until you get the Green Goblin illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Welcome to the dark side.....wait until you get the Green Goblin illness.
    There ought to be prophylaxis available for that one.

Woodworking is the most expensive hobby that I have come to know so far !

I'll need to get back to this in a couple of days. I will need to split this into two excel sheets as only 65,000 entries are allowed. Seriously around $18K in tools and $6K in materials for new cabinets.

10. I run my shop like the Democratic Senate runs their operation. There is no approved budget here and I have extended the debt ceilings several times. The other side of the House threatens to cap all spending. When I am gone, the kids can figure it out.
    Last edited by Richard Wagner; 01-25-2013 at 5:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    I run my shop like the Democratic Senate runs their operation. There is no approved budget here and I have extended the debt ceilings several times. The other side of the House threatens to cap all spending. When I am gone, the kids can figure it out.
    Quite the good analogy, as many of us have similar situations. Never drew the parallel until you said that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bickle View Post

I'm thinking you do have a problem. Same problem the rest of us have.

When I started the shop remodel, I was getting regular disapproving glances and a an occasional "are you kidding me?" glare - sky lights, wire, framing material, sheathing, paint - plus all of the time poured into the shop were all contributing factors. Eventually SWMBO and I discussed it and arrived at a $100 month "tool" budget. Kind of helps me resist the impulsive purchases and prioritize. Tool budget does not include material costs for projects, so finishes, lumber, glue, and the like are acquired as needed. In 2012 the big purchases were a used unisaw and 12 parallel clamps. Currently saving for lumber and vise hardware for a workbench (lumber cost for the workbench does come out of the tool budget). I probably spend approximately $500 a year heating the shop.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 01-25-2013 at 2:22 PM.

It's late in the game now but we probably should have been specifying whether we are in a hobby or an income. That changes the perspective quite a bit.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

In a hobby thats enough for an income and then some I think.

I am running slow this year - under a grand so far. Linear motion parts, cartesian robot parts, wood, and measurement tools get most of the coin these days. Woodworking tools are all good.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.