Thread: suggestions on heart pine finish

suggestions on heart pine finish

I want to keep the natural look of the heart pine that's been planed. It's a desk/bookshelf. I was thinking satin poly? Any suggestions. Thanks Lewis

That stuff was typically painted or left bare. As one who likes traditional uses I find it hard to get used to a film finish on old pine. I would leave it as is.Maybe some wax on it. I guess the desk top has to have something. Dark green old fashioned linoleum would look good and used to be widely used for desk tops.

What ever type of finish you decide, the first thing I would put down is a solution of non waxed shellac mixed at a rate of 4 parts alcohol to 1 part shellac. It will put up a barrier to the splotching that occurs with pine. Will dry in about 5 min. hit will with a quick sand and you are ready to apply any type of finish you want.

Bob

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Modified or regular tung oil will give you a nice low sheen finish. Takes a little time but it's easy and gives you the true hand rubbed look. Because it is.

Most any finish will work on heart pine, but the last project I built was finished with the darker formula of shellac. I think it is called buttonlac. A less-refined wax-free shellac that will give the heart pine an aged, old look. Best advice: experiment on some scrap.