Thread: Shop Fox 16" bandsaw - $650?

Shop Fox 16" bandsaw - $650?

I was just out in the garage trying to get my very old bottom of the line Taiwanese band saw to do something other than make loud noises and vibrate with little luck. I came back in and was looking around the internet and found that Grizzley had a 16" Shop Fox with a 1 1/2 hp motor on sale for $650 plus $78 shipping and that the supplies are limited. They claim that it normally cost $835.

It soulds like that it is just too good of a deal to pass up but I am wondering what you guys think. I have searched this forum but have not found enough information to make a good decision. It does appear that Shop Fox is not top of the line but a very good brand. I just do general purpose stuff but am wondering if I will be sorry in the future that I did not wait and spend more for a 2 hp model. Of course anything will be better that what I had. Thanks for any feed back! Allen

I looked at that last week, and gave it some serious consideration before building my own for a delta top that is being offered for sale online. I am about 70% done and although it is a lot of work i would do it again in a second. The thing that i didn't like about the shop-fox was the 8" max resaw.
    Check out this thread if you have time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19434

Thanks Tim! I think that you have more energy than I do right now. You have a great project and everyone seems to be waiting to see how it turns out. What concernes me more about the smaller bandsaws than size is the hp but I see that you are staying with 1 1/2 instead of going up to 2. I had an underpowered radial arm saw for so many years that I am now overly concerned about the power issue. I had it for 27 years and so it was a sad day when it crashed because it seemed like an old friend but on the other hand I rejoiced knowing that I could get something with decent power. I vowed to never have an underpowered machine even if I had to do without it.

Have you looked at the 18" rikon? 2HP and you can generally have it for less than a grand delivered. That one was on my short list as well, but I thought it would scare my wife into thinking I went over the edge I have the base painted and the bandsaw UP on the base and after breakfast I will be installing the riser block..pics to follow. The goal is to make sawdust before I go to bed tonight. (other than the hole I cut for the pulley belt as for the energy, its not that bad, time is more a problem than energy. But i am of limited funds, so sometimes that makes the choice for you.

A lot of us have the funds issue. What a shame.

6. I,ve had my eye on the shop fox 16" also as a replacement for my sears 14" which recenty passed its 15th birthday. The shop fox looks good on paper but doesn't have some of the nicer features available for another couple of hundred dollars on other models: adjustable table, tracking window, rack and pinion guide post adjustment ect. I suggest you download the user manual for griz web site.Does anyone currently have a shop fox and how does it perform?

Where can I get an electronic version of rikon manuals?

Allen, do you have a link belt on your current saw? If not, you will be amazed at the reduction in vibration just by changing the belt.

Darren, I am sure that you are right. However, my old saw has other issues that just do not make it worthwhile trying to make it better. I just received the top part of the American made Delta 14 for $299 plus shipping. I wanted to get it before thay were all gone. In a few weeks, when I have time I will weld up a metal base and put a two HP motor on it as well as a riser kit. I do appreciate your comment as it will remind to put a link belt on it when the time comes. Thanks! Allen

I have seen the new Shopfox 19" post on the web for $999 including shipping. It appears to be a clone to the Griz with a better fit and finish and cast iron wheels. Apparently they are trying to compete with the Rikon. may be worth considering for the few dollars more.

Allen,

A couple of weeks ago I picked up the 16" Jet which has a 1.5 hp motor and 10" resaw capacity and so far just love it. Rockler had it on sale for $779 - and the fence and miter gauge were included at no extra charge. Just another option.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 05-05-2005 at 9:37 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Darren, I am sure that you are right. However, my old saw has other issues that just do not make it worthwhile trying to make it better. I just received the top part of the American made Delta 14 for $299 plus shipping. I wanted to get it before thay were all gone. In a few weeks, when I have time I will weld up a metal base and put a two HP motor on it as well as a riser kit. I do appreciate your comment as it will remind to put a link belt on it when the time comes. Thanks! Allen
    Hey Allen, i think you made a wise choice..I did the same as you and went with the delta from redmonds. I recently had a chance to look at the SF 16" machine and it doesn't come close to the delta in regards to F&F. It felt cheaply made compared to the delta. plus with the riser kit and your 2HP motor you are more in line wit the 18" SF for less money.

Thanks for the information guys! And Tim, you are the one that inspired me. It will be a while before I get a chance to work on it because we are still repairing from hurricane "Charlie" which dead centered us here in Punta Gorda, Fl last August 13th. Still no tile roof but we are dried in which is a blessing since the rains are starting again. I just wanted to get the top part of the saw before they were all gone. I will let you know how I come out with the saw when it is up and running. Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-05-2005 at 12:34 PM.