Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Festool vs Fein question

Have you considered the Bosch ROS65VC? I'm very happy with my $60 Milwaukee RO. If I wanted a 6" I'd try the new Bosch.

Do you realize that the Bosch ROS65VC is about $50 less than a Festool ETS150? The Festool comes with a Tanos Systainer. If you don't think that is worth $50, they sell instantly for $60.

I haven't compared them side by side, BUT the Bosch feels slightly bulkier and the specs say it is heavier. Also, the stroke is 2mm, by far the smallest of any RO.

Lately Bosch has a history of missing small things on new items. A clip that doesn't hold up and breaks or something like that. I would not want to be the beta tester on a new Bosch item even though I have some Bosch items that are wonderful. They do have a 30-day no questions return like Festool and most items have a 3 year warranty if you register them almost like Festool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fougere View Post
    Vote 1 or 2 and why - pls. I've read a million threads on this already.

ETS 150/3 + CT26 = $827

Bosch 3727 + Fein Turbo ii = $438

I'm most of the way to a good track saw with option 2. I have tried option 1 and it's an awesome combo, and I'll gladly spend the money, but I like the idea of buying more with my money if possible.

Thanks!
    Disclosure: I own #1 and use it a LOT. I also have a boom arm which is a very nice addition (so $1k or so total for the package). I also owned the Bosch sander and used Mirka Gold paper when it was my primary finisher. The Bosch's orbit is 2mm while the Festool is 3mm so theoretically in the Bosch will leave tighter scratch patterns. In practice, I noticed little difference... both left extremely fine surfaces. The Festool has better balance and less vibration than the Bosch (I can push it around with my finger tips) but the Bosch is MUCH better than the other big box sander options out there. Where that balance and lack of vibration pay off is when you are sanding large projects. I bought my sander 1/2 way through a large bookshelf project (14 linear feet of shelving) and the difference was noticeable after an hour of sanding (in retrospect I should have rented a wide belt!). In terms of dust collection, the Bosch is pretty good especially when using abrasive mesh (instead of paper with holes). One downside is the Bosch's flat dust port; I found that the round hose + adapter tended to flex down and the hose would drag (more than the Festool). It looks like both sanders can use a variety of polishers and papers so that's a wash. I've found that the Festool paper lasts _slightly_ longer than Mirka Gold but it is also slightly more expensive. Again, a wash.

Both vacs are great and will do what you need when paired with a sander. As I mentioned before, the boom arm option with the Festool is really nice. I guess you could cobble something similar together with a different vacuum (2x4 structure with hangers, etc.).

Festool clearly makes sense if you're buying into their entire system. If you just want a quality sander and vacuum the Bosch is a great option. If you are planning to sand for very long periods of time w/o a break the difference is noticeable with the Festool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Totally different machines, totally different feel. ETS sanders are finish sanders. Rotex machines are meant to be agrressive with the ability to back off.
    +1. The Rotex is capable of fine finishing HOWEVER the balance is poor when compared with the ETS or even the Bosch option and the tool is much heavier. This adds up when sanding for prolonged periods of time. With the ETS you can push it around by the power cord (when sanding with fine paper)... the balance is that good!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Disclosure: I own #1 and use it a LOT. I also have a boom arm which is a very nice addition (so $1k or so total for the package). I also owned the Bosch sander and used Mirka Gold paper when it was my primary finisher. The Bosch's orbit is 2mm while the Festool is 3mm so theoretically in the Bosch will leave tighter scratch patterns. In practice, I noticed little difference... both left extremely fine surfaces. The Festool has better balance and less vibration than the Bosch (I can push it around with my finger tips) but the Bosch is MUCH better than the other big box sander options out there. Where that balance and lack of vibration pay off is when you are sanding large projects. I bought my sander 1/2 way through a large bookshelf project (14 linear feet of shelving) and the difference was noticeable after an hour of sanding (in retrospect I should have rented a wide belt!). In terms of dust collection, the Bosch is pretty good especially when using abrasive mesh (instead of paper with holes). One downside is the Bosch's flat dust port; I found that the round hose + adapter tended to flex down and the hose would drag (more than the Festool). It looks like both sanders can use a variety of polishers and papers so that's a wash. I've found that the Festool paper lasts _slightly_ longer than Mirka Gold but it is also slightly more expensive. Again, a wash.

Both vacs are great and will do what you need when paired with a sander. As I mentioned before, the boom arm option with the Festool is really nice. I guess you could cobble something similar together with a different vacuum (2x4 structure with hangers, etc.).

Festool clearly makes sense if you're buying into their entire system. If you just want a quality sander and vacuum the Bosch is a great option. If you are planning to sand for very long periods of time w/o a break the difference is noticeable with the Festool.
    Thanks - the cobbling together bit bothers me. I think the picture is becoming clearer.

I wonder if there is a better ROS that works with the FEIN? My plan is to park the vac under my uni and add a DD and rarely move it. When I do move it, I will be carrying it. That's one advantage the FEIN has I think.

I'm planning on adding a tracksaw also - brand to be determined, so this will factor into my decision also.

Thanks - the cobbling together bit bothers me. I think the picture is becoming clearer.

I wonder if there is a better ROS that works with the FEIN? My plan is to park the vac under my uni and add a DD and rarely move it. When I do move it, I will be carrying it. That's one advantage the FEIN has I think.
    You don't need to match the ROS and Vac. Buy the Vac you want and the ROS you want. It all depends on what you value and how much you are willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    You don't need to match the ROS and Vac. Buy the Vac you want and the ROS you want. It all depends on what you value and how much you are willing to spend.
    Actually my decision is easy now.

The only vacs that will fit under the right wing of my uni are the CT mini or the midi.

I was searching for a way to measure value. The fact that the vac will fit perfectly there in my small shop is easily worth the price difference (which is only a few hundred now with the downgrade in vac)
    Last edited by Chris Fougere; 01-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.

I'm planning on adding a tracksaw also - brand to be determined, so this will factor into my decision also.
    I hear that Festool makes some nice tracksaws too...

So I am going to order the Festool combo this week with the 150/3.

I need to decide on the mini vs midi and believe it or not the 2 inch height difference might be a deciding factor.

If someone could tell me the height of the systainer for the 150/3, then I can add that to the height of both the mini and the midi which I know from their specs. I want to make sure I can get store the vac and the ETS together under my uni wing.

8" tall for the sys 3 of the 150/3
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

May not be able to use the boom with the mid or mini - that boom looks pretty sweet!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    8" tall for the sys 3 of the 150/3
    Sweet thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    May not be able to use the boom with the mid or mini - that boom looks pretty sweet!
    No, it only fits the full-size vacs.

Storing your first Systainer on top of the vac makes sense. After that it gets unwieldy.

So I am going to order the Festool combo this week with the 150/3.

I need to decide on the mini vs midi and believe it or not the 2 inch height difference might be a deciding factor.

If someone could tell me the height of the systainer for the 150/3, then I can add that to the height of both the mini and the midi which I know from their specs. I want to make sure I can get store the vac and the ETS together under my uni wing.

Adds 8 -1/4" - for a T-loc systainer. I believe that you will be very happy with this combo and continue to build on with excellent satisfaction . Another + to keeping with the Festool system is that the customer support is as good as it gets.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-27-2013 at 3:43 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Festool has a 30 day satisfaction policy. Call a local dealer and either borrow to try or buy and if not satisfied on the value return. For many the price is way too high. If you appreciate well made tools you may well find them worth it.

As others have said, the ETS 150/3 is a fine 3mm orbit finishing sander. I have one and love it. The RO series is a dual mode sander, direct rotary drive where it rivals a belt sander and 5mm orbital mode. I also have one of these and I use it when I need to remove stock fast. I haven't used a belt sander sincebuying it but I don't use the RO150 that much. Festool also sell a 5mm orbit ETS150/5.