Thread: 3/4" thick enough for Butcher Block Counter Top

3/4" thick enough for Butcher Block Counter Top

I am approaching the end of my first real woodworking project, building kitchen cabinets for our home from Cherry. Since that went pretty well I have decided to try building a 1.5' by 8' butcher block for a counter top that will see very light use. The cabinets are 35 1/4" high without the top. I have A LOT of 4/4 cherry left over and some 4/4 walnut that I don't really want to store so the way I see it I have three options. Any thoughts on them?

Keep in mind, I have basic tools (Unisaw, 6" delta jointer, 12" Woodmaster Planer)

1. Cut two inch (when seen from the top) alternating pieces of Cherry and Walnut. This option would only be 3/4" thick. Is that too thin? If so, why? Is it a structural issue or will it just look weird.

2. Cut slats 1 1/2" thick and turn them so each piece would be 3/4" wide (when seen from the top). I could make it thick enough this way but I am concerned that it will start adding up to a lot of pieces to keep straight and glue up nicely.

3. Bite the bullet and go buy some thicker lumber! This will cost extra $ and make me store more lumber.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer!

I made a large cherry and acacia cutting board with 3/4"w x 3/4"thick strips and it has held up structurally very well.

I think you will like the look of the 1-1/2" thick (even 1" or 7/8" tall/thick) x 3/4" wide stock top better and it will stay more stable - but yes lots more gluing and clamping. The 2" wide X 3/4" thick boards will be OK but will likely move more and perhaps not stay as flat - depending on how it is built and finished. I would opt for the 3/4" wide face (from the top). It will actually serve as a better and longer lasting cutting board than will the more table top like 2" planks, and feel more sturdy too. I think Tomas is saying OK to the 3/4" thickness and agreeing with me as regards the 3/4" width .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge