Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shop Vac versus Festool Dust Extractor

Jim Dwight: I'd like to have a Festool Domino but I don't need one and I don't want one as bad as many other things I will buy first. I have a hollow chisel mortiser which will do, if anything, bigger mortises than the Domino but takes enough longer to do it's thing I don't use as many mortise and tenon joints as I would with a Domino. I don't see a similar argument for a Festool dust extractor. I bet it is nicer to use than my Rigids but I use the Rigids whenever I need to.

Jim, I too have a mortising machine, a really nice Powermatic Benchtop unit (I don't recall the model off the top of my head). I have continued to use it for larger, heavier duty mortises while I pull out the Domino for the smaller ones. It's a system that works really well for me.
    I fought myself tooth & nail about pulling the trigger on that Domino though. It cost more than my PM mortiser! But I've found that the mortiser can be finicky on smaller items, while the Domino really shines there. That's exactly why I opted for the smaller 500 series model. I now have the full spectrum covered.
    And,of course, I also have my set of mortifying chisels for those times when nothing else will work. For example, I just built a hall table with sculpted legs and much to late, I realized that I should have done the mortises while the stock was still square. Because of the curves it wouldn't work in the mortiser without some type of elaborate jig. Nor would the Domino work because of how close the curve started to the mortise, there wasn't room for the tool. So, out came the chisels. And actually, it was fun chopping them for a change. Over the years I have drifted more & more towards the Neanderthal camp. Although, I'll never go electric free.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Thanks Van for pointing out I am an idiot!!!
    I was just being cute, but really just wanted to signal people not to attempt to solve the OP's problems years later.

Here is the simple fact about Festool they make the best hand power tool SYSTEM out there, period, end of story and arguing is just wasting electrons and key strokes. That said they often don't make the best single tool, Mafell often has something to say about that as well as a short list of other. They also are plenty of 80% as good options for 50% less money in most every category and some come closer than 80% (but usually climb above the 50% in cost). They have probably the widest selection of useful accessories AND you don;t have to hunt far and wide for them guessing which ones will fit/work.

In the end those that take the plunge rarely decide the water is not very nice, sure some find certain Festool offerings not to their liking and may move up to a Mafell track or jigsaw or prefer Mirka sanders but it is a rare consumer that vows to never "overpay" for Festool ever again. The reality is we all are balancing budget with need and desires so for some the Festool catalog is just a checklist of tools to buy, for others it is simply a bridge too far budget wise and for most of us it represents premium tools at a premium price that we either choose to work into the budget or buy other things we get more enjoyment from. I personally really like Festool and probably have more Systainers than sense but each tool is evaluated on its merits and how it fits into my budget and workflow for example I don;t have a Festool vac because for me being completely shop based a Oneida Dust Cobra is a better option.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well after 4 years it is time for an update. I ended up just building my own vac system. I added a Dust Deputy to the system and works very well. I am just a hobbiest and it never leaves the shop. What I did do is buy the Mirka Ceros and use the abernet paper. The Ceros reduces the dust at the work ten fold vs. my $69 ROS. As Van stated "budget" so I couldn't have both. I made the right choice for me. Flat work is not my favorite part of woodworking as I love turning. However I am building my wife a thread cabinet for her embrodiery threads. And we think woodworking is a vortex!
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I found the my Regular shop vacs always clogged and were annoying to use. I'm not very price sensitive when it come to my tools, I'm happy to pay allot more for a better and easier to use tool. Just my experience.

I just purchased 6 fine particles bags for my 6 gal Shop-Vac for a little more than $5 ea. I purchased shop-vac new for under $50. I think it was around $25 on sale at big box about 3 years ago. I did not change the large pleated filter to HEPA and do not know if one is available. I just use the fine filter bags. I do not know the particle size the filter bags capture but it is for drywall/cement dust. Better than standard filters.

The vacuum is small and on wheels so I can easily lift it with one hand over obstacles or carry it to where I want it rather than drag it on wheels over mats and debris.

Disadvantages are obvious. It is loud, collects static dust, it probably doesn't have the suck of green cool-aid, won't last as long as better quality vacs, doesn't have quite as good filtration and probably a dozen other faults that don't come to mind. Advantage over more expensive vac of better quality - portability and it is is cheap. I use it for green track saw and other tools.

I have HEPA air cleaner in shop that runs when making dust and I use a downdraft table connected to dust collector for most sanding operations. I use the shop vac for work off the sanding table and for cleanup of shop. It is easy to change bags. Bags came from Amazon Prime so no shipping on invoice.
    shop vac bags.JPG