Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch press for stainless steel

Punch press for stainless steel

Hi gang, I am looking for a small lever type punch press for punching holes in SS, most of what I use is 20ga material. I have looked at Di-Arco punches and they run about $900-$2500. I really only need to punch some mounting holes from time to time on tags and whatnot. Normally I have my steel vendor do it, but run into an occasion when a cutomer wants a one off tag or two and it's a pain getting my vendor to do these. Does anyone know of a small (inexpensive) press for doing this. What do you use? I've seen the one Marco sells but not sure if it would handle the 20ga stuff. I know this probably should go into a different forum, but was hoping some of the laser people have done this.

Thank for looking.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Stainless steel is difficult to punch and can be brutal on tooling. You need really tight die clearances or the stainless will try to extrude giving a nasty sharp ring on the back. Personally I'd be more inclined to use a dedicated drill press for this operation and invest in some high-quality aircraft drill bits. If you are doing multiples you could make a fixture to align the tags consistently. (A wooden base with an L- attached that can be clamped to the drill table.) You might need to use a couple drill bits (a pilot and a final) and/or a countersink tool on the back. But if I was only doing a few at a time I'd lean towards a drill rather than a punch. Sometimes you can get stepped aircraft bits that will make a pilot and then a final size. That's my opinion based on my attempts at working with stainless . . .

I had a feeling that was the answer I would get, I guess a drill press would be the most econominal way to go. Really just wanted a press cuase it was "cooler" LOL. Looks like a trip to HF is in order today.

Thanks Richard
    Last edited by greg lindsey; 01-24-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: forgot to thank Richard

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

A press might be right for some applications but setting it up could be a pain. Not the best for a couple parts here and there. I bought some good quality surplus bits some time ago and realize how much junk the hardware store variety can be. So I'd spend some money on some real drill bits instead.

Hi yes I think a drill press is the way to go I think

Even though I am from Ireland I worked in a tooling company for many years and we made many drill for aircraft companies
    There is no comparison between them and drills you buy in a store it’s like night and day they have a made from high quality steel and most have a special point an s point or a split point which will self center
    You could try a carbide drill
    Frank

Hi there
    i use a handpunch heavy duty from harborfreight for holes not bigger as 3/16 works fine on 20gage and the punch is abut $ 80
    greetings
    walt

I'd check Craig's list before HF.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

These individual punches are what come to mind when I read this thread.
    Jim Coffee
    James Coffee Studios
    Epilog 24TT, 45W, Nikon D7100, Corel Draw, PhotoShop CC, Lightroom CC, etc.
    Escondido, CA

Jim, the smallest knockout punch will be way larger than the mounting holes that Greg is trying to make.

Greg, I'm not saying that the holes can't be punched with a press-type machine or maybe even a hand operated punch. But my hand punch can't do stainless (it is not a heavy duty punch) and normal die clearances are too much for stainless. And I would really have to lean on it to punch through. So if you did decide to go to a punch, you might still need to get some appropriate dies to go with it (which will probably not come from HF.)

Drilling would be the easiest, especially for just a few pieces.

As Frank said, invest in decent drill bits, we work with stainless sometimes and it is different from mild steel.

There is a formula for calculating the tonnage needed to press, you can look at that, the tooling is sometimes more expensive than the machine.

And just for a little gloat without pictures, I found a little 4 ton eccentric press at a scrap yard a few years ago, and paid for it about $50, and that included the die-set. I just had to clean it. It is now standing in the corner of the workshop punching 4mm holes in everything.

Hi Greg,
    Try Accu Cutter Company, out of Pennsylvania they have what you are looking for.

would something like this work?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-pun...tool-1110.html
    I have used one but punching hole in for auto body sheet metal work.
    just an option to look into.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Use a high speed steel/cobalt drill , not tungsten carbide (it chips) , you need a drill bit with a flattish tip and lots of back clearance , you need sloooow rotational speeds and a lot of lube (diatsol or dromus , even tapamatic) We find parallel engraving cutters with a big relief angles work better than bits , tho you may struggle to get one.
    The problem with SS is that if it overheats it work hardens and will just break bits afterward. It really is important to have minimal flex in the press and the part needs to held down really firmly , use some sort of backing block the drill can penetrate after it breaks thru the 1mm stainless. If you ever see smoking when drilling or smoke where swarf hits the coolant , it's bad....you will really struggle to drill that piece
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 01-26-2013 at 2:28 PM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I have three of the style "A", each set for a different diameter punch. The puches are not hard to change out but I use all three sizes several times on a typical day.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bench-mount-punches/=l8hq96

You can find more info on the mfg page here:

http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-12.cfm
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Unipunch products make some pretty decent tooling for projects like this. You would still need a press of some sort, but you can get the tool holders very cost effectively on ebay, and then buy the punch and die for these..Tooling is very cost effective for holes. Your biggest expense would be the actual press iteslf.

We use ours on stainless, brass, and aluminum

Here are some videos of their use in industry. All you need is one tool, that will fit multiple diameter punches and dies.

Brian