Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra vs Jointech table saw fences

Incra vs Jointech table saw fences

I'm looking to upgrade the fence on my TS. I like the idea of repeatability of cut, and it looks like these are the only two fences that give you the positive positioning. (If there are others, please let me know.)

There aren't any real woodworking stores nearby for me to do a comparison, and I'm wondering what anyone else thinks about these two systems. It seems pretty price, but if it meant better precision and speed, I might be able to get the wallet open with a crowbar.

I've already read Per's earlier thread, and it seems like he is thrilled with his Incra.

So to make a long story short, all of you with one of these systems, could you let me know how you like it, and if you picked it over the other one for a reason?

P.S. Did you put the router table in the system too, and is it on a cabinet or contractor saw? I have a jet contractor.

Hi Richard. Last year I bought a complete Incra package for my Bridgewood cabinet saw from the people at Woodpeckers . I am quite happy with the fence, router table and router fence add-on. Yes, you can get down the gnats whisker when cutting, actually it is 1/32nd of 1/32nd of an inch. My fence is the "LS" model, LS is for Lead Screw and each revolution of the screw is 1/32nd of an inch. There is a micro adjust wheel that will move the fence 1/32nd of an inch per revolution. There are 32 detents on the micro adjust wheel thus allowing for a movement as small as .001024 inches(32x32).

My router setup is a PC 7518 motor mounted in the Woodpecker PRL, mounted in the router table top that came with the package. On the 2-do list is a cabinet to house the rounter assembly under the top. Installation was very easy.

I bought the Incra because it is made "locally" in Carollton Tx.; I know others that have it and like it; and the people at Woodpecker are easy to deal with.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have the 52" version of the Incra LS table saw fence. I have had an Incra fence on my router table for several years & liked it very well. When I was restoring an old Powermatic 66 last winter. I had intended on installing a Unifence on the saw until I saw the Incra fence system at the Indy Woodworking Show. I was very impressed with what I saw & I am still impressed with it. I also added my router & lift to the right side table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incra vs Jointech/

Now that's a light my fire set up. I mated the plans for the Jointech router cabinet with my Incra LS and it is really neat. IMHO the Jointech router cabinet is light years ahead of Normies.

I have the jointech router fence, which is the same one as the TS fence and I LOVE it ! there was a discussion earlier about this when I got my JT fence. I think either are a fine piece of equipment and do pretty much the same stuff.

Keith

Another JoinTech vote

Just to balance it out, I've got the Jointech set-up and love it. It started on my Shopsmith 520, and was recently moved to the Unisaw I picked up. I love it. I went with Jointech mostly because of the people. I kept looking through about three years of WoodWorking Show visits. The guys remembered me, got my questions answered, and told me which things NOT to get. Also one of their key guys, Terry, is on the show circuit with them. What can I say? The Incra guys always left me with the impression that if I wasn't buying in the next 10 minutes, they didn't have time for me.

Richard,

I've had the Incra set-up (package #8 from woodpeck.com) for a few months now. I have no regrets with the fence; is phenomenal. If I had it to do all over, though I'd probably put the money from the joinery package into a Leigh D4 instead. I'm sure that the Wonder Fence, etc. will be (yeah, I haven't really tried the dove tails or box joints yet) great for small projects such as drawers or jewelery boxes, buy for a 24" blanket chest, it's just not the right tool for the job.
    John

http://www.digi-kit.com/digifence.htm
    http://www.proscale.com/products/woo...ted/prokit.htm
    http://www.wixey.com/ is planning on adding a table saw version for $100 soon
    This is up a level in technology.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 05-02-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Another vote for the Jointech!

They both are basically fences with precision positioners. In my opinion the Jointech is superior. I also think the Powermatic 66 is superior to the Unisaw, how much is subjective. Oh and don't get me started on cars. 65 GTO all the way.

I had an Incra Pro system on my router table and changed over to a Jointech. Some of the differences that drove the switch are made up for in the new Incra positioner. But for my router table, I still like the fence part of the jointech over the Incra offerings. It's simple and solid. The one thing I do miss is the t-slots on the front face of the fence.

For router joinery, jointech makes their templates simpler to use. But, once you understand the Incra templates, I feel like they are a little more flexible. For example, skipping a step on a box joint where you are going to cut the box top off is easier using the Incra templates. The Incra templates will work with the jointech and vice-versa. But, I have been able to get by and do the things I've wanted with the jointech templates. I think the understanding gained by using the more complicated Incra templates makes it easier for me to visualize how to do it.

I can't speak to tablesaw function though. While I like having the 0.001" adjustment on my router table, I am happy with my Bies on the TS.

Both systems are nice, well made, and durable. Both woodpeck and jointech are a pleasure to deal with. Both manuals are examples of how manuals should be. I have had dealings with both customer service departments. Each has quickly solved my problems and had good, knowledgable individuals on the end of the line.
    If you have a chance to go to a show and see both, you'll have an easier time. Otherwise, pick the color you like . Really ... the gold system is more glamorous and has lots of little bells and whistles. The black system is a little more simple, solid and straight forward. But at the end of the day, they both do the same things in a very similar way.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett
    ... If I had it to do all over, though I'd probably put the money from the joinery package into a Leigh D4 instead. I'm sure that the Wonder Fence, etc. will be (yeah, I haven't really tried the dove tails or box joints yet) great for small projects such as drawers or jewelery boxes, buy for a 24" blanket chest, it's just not the right tool for the job.
    John
    I agree with you there. They are for smaller parts only (probably 8-10" max reasonably). I think it is also a lot easier to mess up on either one of these systems and get a bad fit (DAMHIKT).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

This is a great discussion! I am getting ready to build a router table (hopefully by the end of the year) and have not yet decided on my fence.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

http://www.jointech.com/

Might check this out for Jointech. (They do have a forum, but rules won't let
    me post that link.)

Check the Clincher Fence Machine and the Smart Fence. They make up the system for either Router table or Sawtrain.

I built the Router Center and it's very cool. (Ok I have 90 % finished, just need to finish the 3 bottom drawers. I have been using them as shelves.)

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I had an Incra Pro system on my router table and changed over to a Jointech. Some of the differences that drove the switch are made up for in the new Incra positioner. But for my router table, I still like the fence part of the jointech over the Incra offerings. It's simple and solid. The one thing I do miss is the t-slots on the front face of the fence.

For router joinery, jointech makes their templates simpler to use. But, once you understand the Incra templates, I feel like they are a little more flexible. For example, skipping a step on a box joint where you are going to cut the box top off is easier using the Incra templates. The Incra templates will work with the jointech and vice-versa. But, I have been able to get by and do the things I've wanted with the jointech templates. I think the understanding gained by using the more complicated Incra templates makes it easier for me to visualize how to do it.

I can't speak to tablesaw function though. While I like having the 0.001" adjustment on my router table, I am happy with my Bies on the TS.

Both systems are nice, well made, and durable. Both woodpeck and jointech are a pleasure to deal with. Both manuals are examples of how manuals should be. I have had dealings with both customer service departments. Each has quickly solved my problems and had good, knowledgable individuals on the end of the line.
    If you have a chance to go to a show and see both, you'll have an easier time. Otherwise, pick the color you like . Really ... the gold system is more glamorous and has lots of little bells and whistles. The black system is a little more simple, solid and straight forward. But at the end of the day, they both do the same things in a very similar way.

Jay
    Jay,

I agree that the Jointech fence part was better than the old Incra fence also. That is why I added one to the Incra jig on my router table. I like the Incra Wonder fence that I got to use with the table saw setup better than the Jointech fence.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson
    Just to balance it out, I've got the Jointech set-up and love it. It started on my Shopsmith 520, and was recently moved to the Unisaw I picked up. I love it. I went with Jointech mostly because of the people.
    I have pretty much the same story. I was (so they told me) one of the first to buy the Jointech Saw Train system for my Shopsmith. When I sold the SS, I converted the Saw Train to my Delta Contractor saw.

The Jointech people are really great to work with. Call them, and they will either talk to you immediately or they'll call you back very quickly. Terry Adams is the son of the company founder/president.

The reviews I read comparing the Jointech vs. Incra positioning systems were that the Jointech unit was sturdier. Like you, I have always been put off by the Incra reps at the woodworking shows.

There was an issue a few years ago, when Incra came out with their "lead screw" design that mimics the Jointech design. Jointech apparently holds a patent on that design. One poster on Jointech's forum said he asked the Incra people about this and their response was basically, "Yeah, maybe, but it'll take years for that to get through court." If true, I don't do business with companies that do this sort of thing.

I also have a Jointech SmartMiter. I've had a bear of a time getting that thing set up properly, but it's probably me.
    Sam/Atlanta