Disclaimer; I'm sure this is a naïve, overly broad question, but I would sincerely appreciate any advice or direction that can help me get started.

I suck at design. I'm not artistic and I enjoyed the building process a lot more than designing furniture. I have the most luck when I start with an existing design/piece of furniture (with proven form and proportion) and modify details like Joinery, moldings, veneer, door composition etc.to get the finished design I'm looking for.

I'm interested in building a chest of drawers and incorporating some simple carving like shell's/fan's or perhaps a run of natural elements like leaves, vines, maybe some egg and dart molding etc. along the bottom skirt.

I would appreciate any suggestions about reference sources (books, websites etc.) with pictures and perhaps rough dimensions of casework that incorporates the kinds of simple carvings I would like to try.

I'm looking for some examples of how to incorporate simple carving into an overall design that all fits together as a total composition. I'm sure if I started from scratch myself, I would likely end up with a hodgepodge of design elements that look cobbled together.

I have seen some beautiful reproduction, early American furniture inspired by original pieces exhibited in museums or auction catalogs -- are these worthwhile places to look for inspiration? Any suggestions about specific sources?

Any at all advice, suggestions etc. are much appreciated!

All the best, Mike