Thread: Band saw rebuild (pre-Gloat)

Band saw rebuild (pre-Gloat)

This old band saw followed me home a few days ago. I plan to fix it up for use in my shop. It is a "Laidlaw model SM1"; with 30" wheels. The top wheel and table had been removed previously but were included in the deal. There are no tires, the motor is locked up and the guide bearings will likely need replacing but otherwise it appears to just need cleaning and paint. I have not yet decided whether to install a single phase motor or a three phase motor with VFD. I will post pictures when it is ready for use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find! Does it come with any guards? Do you plan on making any?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a really cool saw Dennis, it would be nice to see some progress photos if you have time. Do you know the vintage of the saw??
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Bruce; it did come with a guard of sorts, I think the guard will need some modification.

Jeff; I will take some progress pictures but am not sure if they will help anyone. Most of the work will involve diss-assembly and cleaning/lubrication. I was told the saw was made ~ 1920.

Ball or babbit?
    Rich

Followed your home? I used to tell my folks that pets followed me home after I dragged them with a rope. You must have used a strong trailer.

What size motor and blade will that beast use and height limit? Was this originally for wood or metal use? It looks like you have a major project on your hands for a few days.

Dennis I noticed Oneida has some Baldor 2hp 3ph motors on closeout for $120. Retails for about $700

Just one picture? How about a back-side shot?
    Not many of those around. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=1500
    Will you be introducing it on OWWM?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Dennis,I'm just alittle south from you and I am a bandsaw fan.So please do post pics of the process cause everyone can learn something even if you think not.Stripping off the old paint,making metal repairs,fillers,primers & finish(your choice of color),etc so lots for use to learn how you go about it.I love reading others post on finding,restoring pieces of history,so what ever you put into it you will receive it back plus some.Since american made tools is history,their highly sought after now and yrs to come.Take your time,post pics and discribe whats going on-----Carroll

I have stripped off most of the old paint and began working on the gearbox (this saw has a worm drive gearbox). The gearbox cover was missing and there was a lot of crud inside; (this must have happened after the saw stopped being used as very little wear was found. There are a total of seven ball bearings and all appear to be in good condition (not including the blade-quide bearings).

Dust from the paint stripping and greasy hands from the mechanical work was not conducive to taking pictures but I will try to get some tomorrow.

Dennis,

That saw is super cool. In September I picked up a 20" Crescent built in I think 1906. I have not been home since so have not started on the restoration. I actually bought by looking at photos only. The only thing missing is the original table. I have a spare table from a different BS that I hope to put on.

Anyway, I will be looking forward to some final pics of your "new" toy. Congrats.