Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Board Blood Groove

Some insight on clockwise vs. counter-clockwise

Rule of thumb...

If you are routing a groove inside a template, than move the router in a clockwise direction. If you are routing outside a template, then move the router in a counter-clockwise direction. This tip will help to prevent wander and helps to keep the router against the template.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    No one told me this was cutting board month on the Creek. I've seen more posts on making cutting boards in the past 3 weeks than all of time.
    Maybe tis the season, with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Channukah coming up.

(so spoken by one who has posted a cutting board post).
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-19-2012 at 8:00 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a store bought cutting board that my wife had. I measured the bood groove it is 1/2" wide 1/4" deep

Hold on, hold on... this is a SEVEN year old thread, folks. I suspect this problem was solved a while ago...
    "It's Not About You."

Joe,

I make a large cutting board with a blood groove and reservoir that I sell at a local kitchen store and a local craft gallery. The board is 22" x 16" x 1 3/4". When I originally designed it, I wanted a large blood groove that would hold the juice from any large roast, turkey, etc., with no risk of spilling over. I decided to use a tray bit. The one that I currently use is 1" bit from Onsrud. Also, I made the entire groove sloped toward the reservoir, and if you look closely at the photo, you can see this. The first ones I made required a complicated two part jig. After I got a CNC machine, the process became much more simple. I'm not suggesting that you do the same thing, but I would recommend making it wider and deeper than you think might be necessary. If it is shallow and narrow, and becomes completely filled, then there is an issue with emptying it. Carrying a large board with a bunch of juice sloshing around the edges may not be easy for some folks, and then you have juice all over the floor. I realize that mine is probably overkill, but it is one of the things that makes it unique. By the way, this one is made of jatoba.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Gourmet Cutting Board-1.jpg