Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yorkcraft Jointer Review

Yorkcraft Jointer Review

A few people have asked, so here is a review. I received my Yorkcraft 8" jointer this past week and I am very happy with it. I ordered it last Friday and couldn't believe when I called the trucking company Monday night and they said they could deliver it the next day. The trucking company delivered on a liftgate truck (no extra charge since I requested it from Wilke at the time of the order.) They backed right up to the overhead door of my shop and rolled it in.

Setup was very easy, other than hoisting the top onto the base. I used the hooks I have welded to the loader bucket on my tractor to lift it up and set it in place. Doing it this way, I was able to do everything myself. If you don't have mechanical means to lift the top, make sure you have help! Since I don't have a 220V outlet drop where I have the jointer, I rewired the motor for 110V operation. This was a simple matter of removing a cover plate and connecting the right set of wires together.

I did have one minor problem which was solved by a trip to the hardware store. The machine screws that hold the return spring mechnaism for the blade guard were too short. They seemed to only engage threads in the casting by about 1 turn. When I tried to install the blade guard, they pulled right out. Longer 5mm screws fixed the problem.

The only other suggestion I have is to drop the included 4" dust connector and go to a 6". I was able to make one very easily from some plywood and an HVAC register boot, but it would have even nicer to have it out of the box. To install my hood I need 4 longer metric machine screws.

The machine is nicely built with heavy castings and a heavy sheet metal base. Wilke includes a built in mobile base. I wouldn't have purchased one separately, but its going to be nice to have one. I didn't have to do any adjustment on the knives or even the setting of the outfeed table. I took some test cuts on pieces of cherry and walnut. The finish was very smooth. Even the pushblocks are nice, much more stable feeling than the ones that I had on my old Delta 6" jointer. The jointer has plenty of power--the motor didn't even changing pitch when face jointing 6" wide stock.

I'd definitely buy again. In fact, I'm starting to look at 15" planers and if I don't find a used one first, I'm pretty likely to buy the Yorkcraft.

Next on my list

Thanks Matt, this seems to be in line with other reviews on Yorkcraft jointers. Looks like its next on my list (an the last large one for a while).<O</O

Matt, old buddy, old pal...the picture police are going to have a field day with you!!!

(Congrats on the new jointer, assuming you really have one... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt, what jointer??? I don't see no stinkin' jointer!!! (Yeah, I know...I ain't one 'o the cops, but I don't know where Tyler or Chris are! ) Anyhow, congrats on the alleged new jointer! I've been hearing good things about the Yorkie's and am considering the planer myself! Thanks for the mini-review!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Matt, what jointer??? I don't see no stinkin' jointer!!! (Yeah, I know...I ain't one 'o the cops, but I don't know where Tyler or Chris are! ) Anyhow, congrats on the alleged new jointer! I've been hearing good things about the Yorkie's and am considering the planer myself! Thanks for the mini-review!
    Come on guys, I've already posted several pics. But to satisfy the police, here's another.

Ahhhh....Now that's better! And an "official" CONGRATS to you, Matt!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Matt,

Thats a really nice lookin machine. I like the switch being up high, it sure will be easier on the back than my setup. I think I'll try to find the time to make a switch hanger for my Grizzly joiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Matt,

Thats a really nice lookin machine. I like the switch being up high, it sure will be easier on the back than my setup. I think I'll try to find the time to make a switch hanger for my Grizzly joiner.
    That's probably one of my favorite features as well.

Very nice! Congratulations! From the picture it looks like the machine is a light grey color? Is it? Also how long are the beds? I'm considering either the Yorkcraft or the new 8" Grizzley
    John

Matt---Congrats on the new beast, lucky you to have such an easy delivery and placement.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Congratulations on the new jointer Matt.

I will bet you that, in the end, the mobile base is one of the features you like best. I recently installed a Delta DJ20 8" jointer. I can't use the jointer much until I get it onto a mobile base, but the free base for it came along for it 11 weeks after the jointer. Now, I am waiting for some friends to come over and help me wrestle the jointer onto the base.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Williams
    Very nice! Congratulations! From the picture it looks like the machine is a light grey color? Is it? Also how long are the beds? I'm considering either the Yorkcraft or the new 8" Grizzley
    John
    Yes its light gray, with a 72" bed.

Matt,

It sounds great enjoy it!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Matt, Looks like a great jointer! Lifting on the beds with a tractor sure sounds like a fun time! Much better than brute force lifting!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

The only other suggestion I have is to drop the included 4" dust connector and go to a 6". I was able to make one very easily from some plywood and an HVAC register boot, but it would have even nicer to have it out of the box. To install my hood I need 4 longer metric machine screws

Matt...Great idea. I think this is something that machine manufactures should start taking into consideration!
    Even an old blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!