Thread: Seeking butcher block information

Question Seeking butcher block information

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Sawcreek and to woodworking. I made a couple of things and got the bug. Now I want to make butcher block countertops and other items. I find the making of it rather straight forward. Where I am lacking is imagination..... Hahaha basically I need information about wood combinations, color mixing, and actual design that is more than just straight lines or checkerboard. Is there a book (s) that address butcher block design, construction and how-to?

Thank you.

Leon...I can't help you with the book question, but welcome to the Creek! We're glad you found us and hope you will share your projects and lots of pictures. To get started, I recommend you use the search function at the top right of your page and look for 'butcher block counters'. There are quite a few Creek threads talking about what you want to do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Rofer View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to Sawcreek and to woodworking. I made a couple of things and got the bug. Now I want to make butcher block countertops and other items. I find the making of it rather straight forward. Where I am lacking is imagination..... Hahaha basically I need information about wood combinations, color mixing, and actual design that is more than just straight lines or checkerboard. Is there a book (s) that address butcher block design, construction and how-to?

Thank you.
    here is one that I did a few years back out of australian lacewood
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    if one can get nice q/sawn wood then you can alternate the grain from one block to the next. if one uses different colour woods which would mean different densities, then you would probably be asking for problems(cracking). this one was originally built in 2001 and it is still as straight and solid as the day it was made. he relocated his office and I had to change the ends around. about 2 years ago he got caught using about 950,000,00 of his customers and was put into receivership and was lost to him.it took about a year for a new owner to appear. I notified the new owner that I was the maker and that I did have some additional material if he decided he needed changes or whatever. about 2 months later he called and said if I had my truck there at 8:00 am the next morning that I could take it away. I was there.
    ron