Thread: Bench Dog Holes

Bench Dog Holes

I currently getting ready to build a bench nothing special or crazy. I have reviewed quite a few post that cover square vs round, the different sizes for the 2 types and placement with regards to usage. What I didn't see was any mention of canting the round holes a few degrees as with square dogs to take advantage of mechanically force.

I do have a few options for drilling a canted hole either by hand or at the drill press. For those that have round holes drilled staight up have you found yourself wishing that you canted the holes or is this all just a bit over the top?

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I currently getting ready to build a bench nothing special or crazy. I have reviewed quite a few post that cover square vs round, the different sizes for the 2 types and placement with regards to usage. What I didn't see was any mention of canting the round holes a few degrees as with square dogs to take advantage of mechanically force.

I do have a few options for drilling a canted hole either by hand or at the drill press. For those that have round holes drilled staight up have you found yourself wishing that you canted the holes or is this all just a bit over the top?
    David,

I haven't built my bench yet, but I've done quite a bit of reading in anticipation, especially Schwarz, and he lays out a pretty good case for round holes. As to canting the dog holes, he uses wooden dogs and when he makes them he angles the face 3 degrees which provides the same effect as having the whole dog angled.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have Schwarz's book on benches and can't find it right now LOL Before I actually start to cut joinery I'm going on a hunt! Sounds like a good idea to cant the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    David,

I haven't built my bench yet, but I've done quite a bit of reading in anticipation, especially Schwarz, and he lays out a pretty good case for round holes. As to canting the dog holes, he uses wooden dogs and when he makes them he angles the face 3 degrees which provides the same effect as having the whole dog angled.

Cheers,
    Charles
    Hey Charles,

I didn't notice the links they where useful and thanks for the info just reiterates the thought that I had as well as others. Your comment about the dog having canted faces was very curious and I have never noticed any specs when looking @ the store bought items but they do have cant the faces....... so its 6 of on 1/2 dozen of another. Thanks for posting!

I have a small bench with square holes. If I were to replace it, I woud go with round holes. That way adding extra holes to later is possible. Also, I don't recall seeing the J shaped holdfast for a square hole. If it's out there, it's not very common.

John

Blog Entries
    What I didn't see was any mention of canting the round holes a few degrees as with square dogs to take advantage of mechanically force.
    If you cant them, they only work well in that exact direction. I put a 3* face on my dogs instead. That way whichever direction I am using them in, the angle down just a bit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you cant them, they only work well in that exact direction. I put a 3* face on my dogs instead. That way whichever direction I am using them in, the angle down just a bit.
    Ahah A light just went on!

I vote for round holes, just don't try to put a square dog in them.

How bout a square cat?

Blog Entries
    How bout a square cat?
    Square cats in round dog holes is definitely OK; I checked the rule book.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don't cant round dog holes, that would be bad. It isn't needed for starters. As mentioned, they would only work in one specific direction, which kind of defeats the purpose of round dogs. It would also be a problem using other accessories like holdfasts.

I built my first bench about one year ago.....a FWW plan that was reasonably straight forward.

For the bench dogs i went with 3/4 holes drilled vertically (straight up and down; no cant) and i used (horror of horrors) Kreg plastic dogs http://www.kregtool.com/Bench-Dogs-Prodview.html

It has been used extensively, and i would not change a thing......including the plastic dogs which don't warp, crack or break no matter how much force i squeeze against them. Even if i lift them to accommodate a thicker board or a funny angle, they serve without any problems.

And they are a ton cheaper than the brass babies that look SO tempting.