Thread: Vises

Vises

I'm going to mount a record 52 1/2d on the front of my new bench with a Lie Neilsen tail vise on the right hand front end. This leaves a open area of about 14 inches on the back side of the bench. Seems to me I would need to place another vise like a 8 - 12 inch chain drive to maximise the total use of the bench. I have ponder this for a few weeks with no resolve. I can of course add the vise later but at a larger inconvience.

Has anyone set their bench up like this or have another option I have not thought about?

bench1.jpg
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 01-28-2013 at 7:27 AM.

I built bench few months ago, have side vice where yous is and twin screw vice on other end. Works really well when working on wide panels

I have a Record 53 on the front, and a Veritas twin screw end vise on the right which spans the entire width of the bench (24"). I mostly just use the twin screw vise as an end vise like your plan. The full-width twin screw vise is generally only an advantage if you need to clamp long, wide pieces, or slightly offset ones at four points. Sometimes, it's nice to have a full 24" of solid wood clamping jaws too.