Thread: Buying prefinished drawer stock

Buying prefinished drawer stock

I am trying to find some recommendations on where to buy some pre-finished drawer stock. I have a project that I am planning that will have a few drawers in it and I am wanting to see if that might be the better way to go. I only have nights(after the kids are in bed) and Sundays to work on this and the quicker I finish the happier the wife will be! The prefinished is what really intrigues me as I dont really have a good place to spray anything. Any tips on finishing the drawer boxes that might make me change my mind on the prefinished are great as well!

Thanks

I am thinking about the same thing and will be following your thread with 'bated breath...

The two places I'm thinking about are Barker Door and Rawdoors.com

The prefinished drawer stuff I've seen is a plywood, 4"-6"-8" in width with a groove alongside one edge... I don't like using plywood where it can be seen, even if you edge band it. plus if you're doing dovetails, solid wood works far better.

Also, why do drawers need finish? I have always left them raw wood.

Quote Originally Posted by David Huston View Post
    I am trying to find some recommendations on where to buy some pre-finished drawer stock. I have a project that I am planning that will have a few drawers in it and I am wanting to see if that might be the better way to go. I only have nights(after the kids are in bed) and Sundays to work on this and the quicker I finish the happier the wife will be! The prefinished is what really intrigues me as I dont really have a good place to spray anything. Any tips on finishing the drawer boxes that might make me change my mind on the prefinished are great as well!

Thanks
    David,

You don't say where you're located, but check with hardwood dealers in your area. We have a dealer who specializes in cabinet making supplies about 40 mins. away that carries pre-finished 1/2" Baltic birch drawer sides in 60" lengths, and a variety of widths, with a 1/4" bottom groove pre-cut. He beats any prices I found online.

Cheers,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

If you're tight for time, you might consider subbing out the entire drawer-making task. There are many shops that just make drawers for cabinetmakers and contractors. They make enough that their economies of scale provide a good price. One such shop is Western Dovetail. http://www.drawer.com/