Thread: Can't connect to PM66 4" dust collection port

Can't connect to PM66 4" dust collection port

Ok, dumb question I am sure but if someone will indulge me!

I have a 1992 PM 66 I am setting up. I could not get my 4" hose from the DC to go on the port near the floor at the base. It seemed just too big. I bought a "Quick Connect" flare connector from Amazon, and the flared end of that won't go on the port either. The port measures exactly 4". The connector does too, and won't go on.

Anyone know a slightly more "flared" connector I can use? I have googled for an hour and can't find something that looks right. I wonder if there is an inner reducer type deal that will go inside each one or something. I have limited room on back of saw because it is in a stand and for some reason PM decided to put this port about 1/4" off ground.

Thanks!
    Scott

Go to HD and pick up a section of 4" plumbing pipe...and use the flared end of that. I believe that will work.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    When I had a PM-66 I never had any trouble getting 4" flex hose to slip right over the port. My saw was a little newer, circa 2000, don't know if they changed the port size. Maybe you could heat the hose in a bucket of very hot water to soften it some and make it stretchy?

Would vaseline help the hose to fit on the saw maybe?

Blog Entries
    You obviously failed to buy the mustard-yellow Powermatic turbo-hose 5000!!! Seriously though, a glass bowl of water in the microwave till near boiling. It will cool a bit while you carry it out to the shop. Dip the end of the hose in it and count to 20 or so. If your hose has a metal helix, wear gloves when you remove it from the water as the metal will get hot. Use colorful language whilst stretching the hose over the port. Realize you forgot the hose clamp and have to thread it on from the other end and fight it the full length of the hose. Tighten hose clamp. Be happy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

OK, I will try that this weekend. The hose did come close. I was baffled by the flared connector not working, and thought there must be something obvious I can't seem to see!

I have an 1986 PM66 which I've placed with the back of the saw against my workbench as an outfeed table. I used this product from Woodcraft to attach to the dust port and then run along the back of the saw to where I can attach a normal 4" hose. IIRC it was not too difficult to get the Stay-Put fitted on to the port.

I have a circa 1994 PM66, probably the same machine. I used a 4" rubber coupling with hose clamps on each end from the plumbing section of HD. I think this coupling is used to connect plastic pipe to cast iron or copper or vise versa. this coupling was not easy to slide on, used a little dish soap. Once it was on and clamped, it held up well.