Thread: eletrolise for removing rust from metal

eletrolise for removing rust from metal

OK everyone dont know if i spelled electrolises correctly.anyway i made a set up i got off utube . using a battery charger and armor hammer baking soda wash .wanted to let you know it worked perfict. saved alot of sading and wire brushing .you want regret having one to use if needed.

Blog Entries
    electrolysis...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have rusty items, washing soda, power supply from old silver recovery unit and holding tanks but haven't done it yet. I have seen a lot of examples of how good it works and doing it is in my plans.
    David B

Here are a couple of sources for electrolysis for rust removal.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Rus...L=electrolysis

Another with some cautions, below. Washing soda is not the same as Baking soda which works but not well. Sodium Chloride (Table salt) or other salts should be avoided.
    Stainless steel should not be used since the waste water left in the tank is now a hazardous material. If you use iron or steel like an old pipe, saw blades, window weights you can then use a paper towel or rag skim the top nasty brown junk and put it in the garbage. The liquid can be sewered. It also makes a great moss killer.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co...st_removal.htm

if you search [ rust removal by electrolysis] you will be an electro-chemist or an alchemist by morning.

JohnO

Great information. Thank you for sharing.
    David B

It's a great technique! For large flat surfaces you should check out Frank Ford's wet towel technique! works like a charm.

I cleaned some new pipe that had minor rust on it and I ended up with deep pitting. I'm almost sure the rust was not that deep and on most parts I don't get that result. Also it a good Idea to finish the part soon as possible or grease over etc. as it will begin oxidizing soon as it is dry. Great time saver where you cant get into holes crevices.
    Here is another good way to remove with (Acetic Acid), or Molasses: 5 parts molasses to 1 part water for two weeks. This mixture will still de-rust for some time, (six months or even more). Whistle clean, but again needs to be prepped for finish immediately great for larger parts and a little smelly too.

In plating shops they put a very heavy copper plate to fill the pits. Then they have to manually remove most of the copper to make the surface smooth again. It's costly, labor intensive, but the results are amazing. It takes a lot of electrons to lay down 1/32" copper plate.

White vinegar works great & is cheap and safe . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I have used muriatic swimming pool acid for removing rust. It works but you need to exercise caution when using acid. I think muriatic acid is diluted hydrochloric acid. I don't recall if I used the acid full strength or if I diluted it. I like electrolysis more than acid baths.
    David B