Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood in Maryland??

Plywood in Maryland??

I am in search of a plywood dealer in Maryland. I am in College Park and would consider traveling north up as far as Baltimore. Not really interested in northern VA as the beltway is a PITA. All I seem to be able to find is the Borgs and the ply in there is sketchy. Thanks, John.

try woodfinder.com as a start. I'm also looking for a good supplier but I'm a few months out still.

What sort of ply are you looking for exactly? Baltic Birch, cherry veneer, etc.? Mizell in Kennsington used to be great, til they finally closed a year back or so. Woodcraft in Rockville has furniture grade ply and can also order it for you, but they tend to charge a bit more. Have you tried TW Perry? They are a good source for a lot of stuff.

Try Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg. exoticlumberinc dot com

How about Hardwoods, Inc in Frederick? I bought some QSWO ply there about 4 years ago and found the price and service both good.

Thanks Sean, Matt and Jeff. My immediate need is shop cabinets that can be handled with Borg Ply. I do have an entertainment center in Cherry in my future that will need a few sheets of 1/3 cherry and 1/4 cherry. I also would like to find some Baltic Birch.

I actually thought Mizells closed longer ago. Shame since I work at NIH I am right down the street from Kensington.

Fredrick would probably make the gas in my F150 not worth the savings from the local places listed by Jeff and Sean.

I know about Exotic Lumber and Woodcraft as well but was hoping there was a place a little easier on the wallet ... Thanks again, John...
    Last edited by john davey; 01-29-2013 at 4:38 PM.

There is a place just off Route 1 where it crosses Route 100 called Wurth Wood Group.
    It's in a business park and the street name is Santa Barbara Ct.
    They cater to cabinet shops but will sell to anyone, and have all that stuff, but there's no showroom. I usually just go to the Will Call desk and tell them what I want and they bring it out to me.
    If you decide to try it, call first to make sure they have what you want. Maybe they can arrange for you to look at it first.
    http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Locations.aspx

+1 for Hardwoods in Fredrick. Try not to drool on some of the exotic HW. I was there a couple of years ago and they had some waterfall bubinga. It was only about 4' x 20'.

Well, Hardwoods in Fredrick is only 35 miles from where I work so in theory that is not to much difference in gas/time. Of course their price list for plywood seems to be really high. For example exotic lumber has baltic birch 5x5 3/4 for $59.00 a sheet and Fredrick has it for 83.75. Cherry is 115 vs 139. Not sure on grading so it is kinda hard to tell but it seems I need to look at exotic lumber and then makea field trip north. Not the worst thing I could do with my time .

For the record what do people pay for Baltic Birch 5x5 and Cherry ply. Just wondering if these prices are in line. I expect them to be on the higher side as everything in the DC metro area seems to be but how good or bad are those numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Well, Hardwoods in Fredrick is only 35 miles from where I work ...I need to look at exotic lumber and then makea field trip north. Not the worst thing I could do with my time .

?
    THere is a Cracker Barrel on the way up into Frederick, between the two, so you could refresh yourself with pork products, biscuits and gravy.
    Last edited by Stephen Cherry; 01-30-2013 at 4:54 PM. Reason: cant spell biscuits

So now we are going to have to have a bacon conversation aren't we ...

Chesapeake Plywood in Baltimore. For the trades but will sell to the public for 250.00 minimum. 500.00 will get you free delivery. 250.00 minimum ain't bad at all. Really good stuff, my shop buys from em all the time. Google em.

13. Bumping this thread and wondering if anyone has a good place for plywood near Glen Burnie/Baltimore/Annapolis area. Looking for something inexpensive for some shop cabinets for now. Would like to find a place that has decent plywood for fair prices. Exotic Lumber seems kind of pricey. I have inquired at Chesapeake Plywood and know that they have a $250 minimum for pickup, but have never dealt with a wholesaler before and wonder how you even place an order or see what you might buy? I guess you really got to know what you are looking for and trust that they are going to give you decent sheets. I looked up the Wurth company online and that might be a way to go, but again there is no actual showroom to see the product. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
    Bumping this thread and wondering if anyone has a good place for plywood near Glen Burnie/Baltimore/Annapolis area. Looking for something inexpensive for some shop cabinets for now. Would like to find a place that has decent plywood for fair prices. Exotic Lumber seems kind of pricey. I have inquired at Chesapeake Plywood and know that they have a $250 minimum for pickup, but have never dealt with a wholesaler before and wonder how you even place an order or see what you might buy? I guess you really got to know what you are looking for and trust that they are going to give you decent sheets. I looked up the Wurth company online and that might be a way to go, but again there is no actual showroom to see the product. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Much to my surprise the Home Depot in Upper Marlboro had decent Baltic Birch 6 - 7 months ago 7 ply for the 3/4 ish stuff. What exactly are you looking for?

15. Looking for an inexpensive, ie sub $40 sheets of 3/4 plywood to build simple shop cabinets and tool carts. Home Depot once in a blue moon stocks this as a special in Maryland, I guess, but they don't regularly stock it. I can get it in NJ, Del, Pa, but not in MD. And it used to cost only $30 a sheet, but even at $35 it is not bad.