Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PIC

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PIC

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Ya'll already know what I did mainly this weekend. The Arky Gathering!!!

It was a great time and next year....there will be another gathering. I think I'm still full from all the good food that was brought and served.

Saturday morning started out with me service breakfast with omlets any way you wanted them, bacon, sausage, homemade biscuits and such. Lunch was burgers, brauts, bbq chicken and hot dawgs served with Joe's now famous baked beans, Mark's Tater Salad, chips, all trimmin's and fixin's.

We covered things like installing a router lift, bowl turning, making flat stock for simple stiles and rails for a panel door, handplane care, setup and cleanup was covered by Terry Hatfield. Thanks Terry!!!!

Cleaned up the shop on Sunday after church (well, at least SOME of it!) and it's back to work today.

In the picture: Left to Right, Joe Meazle, Terry Hatfield, Dennis Peacock, Glenn Curtis, Mark Cothren and the feller up front is one of my boys, Joseph, who has taken to turning like a fish to water.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 05-02-2005 at 9:16 AM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like you had a great weekend Dennis!

I worked on my latest project! Can't disclose the details yet! However, I did get more done than I had planned on! I hardly ever do that, so it was quite a weekend!

Also mowed the lawn and watched it snow Sunday afternoon!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Saturday after lawn mowing I finished up two plane refurb's see posts in hand tool forum.

Helped a friend repair his toilet, he has diabetes and just had his third eye surgery in a year, so he can't do anything. No big deal, about 20 minutes and they were back in business.

Sunday, built the carcass for the powder room vanity on the new house. I need to get a head start on the cabinets since I have about 60 to build. Got all done and realized early this morning that we had reversed the house plans and the cabinet is built for the old format. No major biggie, will have to remove and reinstall the drawer slides and some brackets. It's a floating cabinet, so I am somewhat lucky as I didn't use Maple on both ends, just the one you see. NOTE TO SELF, MAKE SURE YOU CORRECT ALL DRAWINGS TO REFLECT NEW HOUSE LAYOUT, SO YOU DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!!
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

My weekend had some similarity to Dennis', sans the woodworking. Dr. SWMBO and I threw a "northern" 50th Wedding Anniversary Party for my parents, who celebrated the date on 7 December with a similar event at their home in central Florida. (My mother's 75th birthday was also Thursday) About 35 friends and relatives living here in the northeast came here on Sunday afternoon to enjoy some food and camaraderie. One of my mother's childhood friends even attended! It was a bit of work, but everything turned out wonderfully. (And the house has not been this clean...ever...I don't think!) Here are a few pictures of the event just to prove it happened as a hopefully adequate excuse for not making any sawdust this weekend. Obviously the dapper couple with the cake are the 'rents, Elmer and Shirley Becker. Back in the shop next weekend to hopefully complete my spring shop improvement project...the air system...and get back to projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

'Twas a great weekend with Friday off to attend the LFOD (Live Free or Die) antique hand tool auction in Nashua NH. Strangely, for once, I didn't buy any tools though some of you might find that hard to believe. I left at noon, went home, and went into the shop to start on a batch of marking knife blades and some awl blades. Got a lot accomplished. Saturday I went back to the auction for the high end tool day and met up with Creeker Mark Stutz who had arranged a business trip to coincide with the auction. We spent part of the day at the auction where Mark scored well, and then went to my house to visit in the shop after a short stop for lunch. I'd been promising Mark that I'd lead him further into temptation by taking him over to an old tools dealer 15 minutes form my house. We spent a couple of hours there and I think that Mark's checking account is going to suffer quite heavily from my aiding and abetting his rapidly developing addiction. Then out to dinner and back to the shop for most of the evening. This was an unusually long chance to visit and both of us greatly enjoyed it. With his son at Tufts, I expect that there will be at least 3 more years of such enjoyable visits.

Sunday I assembled the new Weber barbeque grill, cleaned up the garage a bit and then went back down in the shop to continue work on knife and awl blades.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-02-2005 at 1:48 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I don't feel like I got anything done, although in reality I did. I had wanted to get the last (south) wall painted after I caulked it, but the caulk ran out and sucked in badly where I had some deep crevaces, and had to be added to Sunday. Just wouldn't dry in time to paint. I did get a bunch of the wood trash picked up, and 2/3 hauled away. Also cut a sheet + of 1/2 plywood for the "spacers" for fhe torsion box doors. and cut the outside frame out of 2X4's for one of the doors. It just doesn't feel like I got done what I wanted to. Jim

Cut all the pieces to make (7) NUC beehives for my father from the poplar that was milled from his farm. A NUC box is a 5-Frame starter hive used to establish new colonies. A Standard hive box would contain 10 frames. For those in the know these are Langstroth style hives.
    I am scheduled to meet him at the halfway point between our housed the weekend of May 21/22. Guess where the halfway point between Vermont and Southwestern Pennsylvania happens to be??? Muncy, PA and guess what's located in Muncy, PA - You got it GRIZZLY!!!!

I wonder what I'll be doing there???????

He is filling his pickup with more poplar, ash, walnut & cherry for me, so it won't be just fun & games. (Yea, it Will!!)
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Dennis, does this mean you missed the world famous Toad Suck Daze in town? I was in Arky last week for business. When I passed through Conway I thought I recognized the town name from somewhere. Then I saw the signs for Toad Suck Daze. My big weekend consisted of fixing my daughters car and watching NASCAR on HDTV with the new cable box.
    Doug
    Remember, wherever you go, I've probably already been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards
    Dennis, does this mean you missed the world famous Toad Suck Daze in town? I was in Arky last week for business. When I passed through Conway I thought I recognized the town name from somewhere. Then I saw the signs for Toad Suck Daze. My big weekend consisted of fixing my daughters car and watching NASCAR on HDTV with the new cable box.
    Man....Toad Suck is BIG around these parts. We had folks as far as Japan to come just for Toad Suck Daze. You were witin 5.2 miles of me. You shoulda hollered. I would have LOVED to have met you in person.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished setting up my jointer and band saw and got the dust collection hooked up to them. We also cleaned the garage. We live on an unpaved road, so about this time of the spring it gets pretty bad in there. Sunday was spent with visiting my parents and me preparing to head out to CA for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Man....Toad Suck is BIG around these parts.
    Do tell...I think this thing deserves it's own thread in the Off Topic forum. Toad Suck?? The mental images are scary...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Started to apply finish these. Only a corner hutch, plate rack, spice rack, 17' box beam and two weeks to go.

Hmmm....I feel like I got nothing done, but when I think about it, I did some work on a butcher block table and turned a bowl. The rest was computer troubleshooting and spring cleaning. So, I guess that's something....
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    Spent about six hours on Saturday and a few Sunday morn, continuing work on my poker table. Finally getting some glueing up done after prepping the many parts of the "octagonal" playing surface.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Do tell...I think this thing deserves it's own thread in the Off Topic forum. Toad Suck?? The mental images are scary...
    Yep! What Jim said! None of the images I have in my head are pretty. We need to know more.

With PICTURES!
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.