Thread: Western Red Cedar

Western Red Cedar

Is WRC a poor choice for an exterior sign? It will be small and have some 2.5d stuff carved on it along with some pocketed letters. I will finish with polyurethane. Will it work in Florida?
    David

Actually the cedar would be a good choice for outdoors. I don't get much of it around here (Kansas) so I generally use White Oak for outside signs.

We use it for almost all wood exterior signs here, as it's plentiful locally. Try to use heartwood, and make sure it's good and dry and primed if painted, or it can bleed through the paint. I have many good sized sandblasted cedar signs that have been up 15 years. One of the first that I did in 1995 just came down a few months ago when a
    building was demolished for a new development, and looked fine. We don't have Florida sun but the worst enemy,
    40+ inches of rain.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks for the help.
    David