Thread: New info:Compare Freud Dado with Amana

New info:Compare Freud Dado with Amana

Need a little info on comparing two dado sets i have,so i can sell one set and keep the other.Freud 8" made in Italy.12 tooth outside blades.4 at 9/32" chippers,1 at 5/32" model D208m.Amana 8" made in Israel. 2@ 24 tooth blades,2@1/8" chippers,1@1/4" chipper,1@1/16" chipper.I have not used the Amana and is in used very good cond.Based on price alone the amana is more $'s, and i know pro shops use Amana.If you have exp. with either of these, i welcome your feedback, Rob

I'd keep the Amana based on that description. Unless the grind is odd, you should get better shoulders with the 24 tooth blades. Setup math is simple to boot.

Freuds super dado is better than their safety dado. I would want the 1/32 chipper though. Mine gets used quite a lot. Dave

Keep the amana, its a much better set. That freud "pro" with 12 teeth is anything but. If it were a Freud "super dado" I say its a wash, take your pick.

If you have the Amana, why don't you try it out?
    Last edited by Huck Schwee; 02-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.

I have an Amana that fits your description, and mine has a steep ATB grind on the 24t outer blades. The steep ATB cuts well in veneer plywood and melamine, so I'm satisfied with my set which is nearing 20yrs of use. A good sharpening service will keep it cutting like new.