Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weatherproof coating for Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    the OP was specifically mentioning using it in a marine environment
    I know.....and of course your quote says "In many..."....doesn't say all! I am just giving you my 43 years of living on the Chesapeake Bay and currently owning a 38' Bertram, 23' Cobia WA, and 18' Boston Whaler experience....

Of course you can always fly down here to Poquoson, VA. and I will take you out on one of the boats and you are welcome to check the stainless bolts/screws/nuts that are affected by salt water everyday as they sit at my pier.

But maybe I am wrong.............

We did re-fasten our last Sport Fisherman, a 36' Tiffany, with over 6000 silicon bronze screws, and then we used West System and bi-axial cloth to fiberglass over the mahogany hall. Now talk about corroded screws....of course they were not stainless........

Now, I really don't want to get into a Google search quote flame war........

Just letting you know what one old fisherman does and has experienced............take it or leave it.......I just know I won't be spraying any hairspray on my boat, unless it goes in the wife's hair of course!

Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimmy Phillips; 02-04-2013 at 2:01 PM.
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Phillips View Post
    I know.....and of course your quote says "In many..."....doesn't say all! I am just giving you my 43 years of living on the Chesapeake Bay and currently owning a 38' Bertram, 23' Cobia WA, and 18' Boston Whaler experience....

Of course you can always fly down here to Poquoson, VA. and I will take you out on one of the boats and you are welcome to check the stainless bolts/screws/nuts that are affected by salt water everyday as they sit at my pier.

But maybe I am wrong.............

We did re-fasten our last Sport Fisherman, a 36' Tiffany, with over 6000 silicon bronze screws, and then we used West System and bi-axial cloth to fiberglass over the mahogany hall. Now talk about corroded screws....of course they were not stainless........

Now, I really don't want to get into a Google search quote flame war........

Just letting you know what one old fisherman does and has experienced............take it or leave it.......I just know I won't be spraying any hairspray on my boat, unless it goes in the wife's hair of course!

Jimmy
    Jimmy, I don't deny what you say, surface corrosion on stainless (300 series) in most case has to do with surface contamination and is not true corrosion. Stainless sheets that are generally used for signage are usually 304 and have a number 4 finish on them, and are more susceptible to tea staining, and usually have not been cleaned properly to remove any surface contamination, I come from a industrial welding sheet metal background (30 years) but I don't live near salt water so I concede to your experience. My intention was not to start a Google quote flame war, but to just add additional info. I agree that hair spray would be the last thing I would use in a commercial installation.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    Jimmy, I don't deny what you say, surface corrosion on stainless (300 series) in most case has to do with surface contamination and is not true corrosion. Stainless sheets that are generally used for signage are usually 304 and have a number 4 finish on them, and are more susceptible to tea staining, and usually have not been cleaned properly to remove any surface contamination, I come from a industrial welding sheet metal background (30 years) but I don't live near salt water so I concede to your experience. My intention was not to start a Google quote flame war, but to just add additional info. I agree that hair spray would be the last thing I would use in a commercial installation.
    Sorry if I misunderstood your message. No offense meant.

Now I understand that 316 stainless has molybdenum added to it for increased corrosion resistance. And we do try and use 316 everywhere, but usually end up with 304 above the waterline (cheaper). Interesting part is the head is the last thing to "corrode" on the screws going into the hull. The threads, through lack of oxygen, start some type of chemical process with the non-cured resin and other molecules (too lazy at this point to Google it, so I will leave that to the physics guys) which breaks down the passive chromium oxide protection (I admit that I Googled that! ) and then the fun happens.

What I really love is all the use of stainless steel screws/bolts in aluminum on boats! And how did that stainless screw get welded to the aluminum housing... Can we all say dissimilar metals together.....now that is fun! Why boat manf. can't take the extra 5 seconds to at least try and coat the stainless before screwing into aluminum is beyond me! Anyone ever heard of 3M 5200 marine adhesive? That stuff is awesome....nice dab on a stainless screw before going into an aluminum hole....does the trick!

l8r guys,

Jimmy
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

Nufinish car polish.. wipe it on, let it dry, buff it off.. It will keep a car finish protected for a year through salt, carwashes, dirt, etc.. Been using it for years, and it seems to do the trick..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Newer hairsprays have different compositions, but using the brand Aquanet hairspray from years ago makes a great fixative. FYI, OB-Gyn offices used it for years to set the slides for pap smears. Sorry if that's too much information.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75W
    Newing Hall Apex 300 & 400 w/power bases
    I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy madan View Post
    fyi, ob-gyn offices used it for years to set the slides for pap smears. Sorry if that's too much information.
    til...... :d
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5