Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #3 vs. #4 bench plane

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It depends on how you use your smoother. . . . There is a difference in philosophy between how Warren Mickley has described smoothing (straight through strokes on a surface), and IIRC Larry described historically accurate smoothing as being more of a spot removal issue, at least sometimes. . . . .
    I think David is spot-on in his description of the different uses for smoothers. The slightly wider No. 4 is easily the better choice for straight through strokes, but a smaller plane works better to smooth areas of tear-out and other spot issues. As a novice a few steps ahead of you in assembling tools, I predict your immediate needs will be more along the lines of smoothing sections of tear out, but eventually you'll need to deal with both issues.

So, I suggest that you think about not only this purchase but also the next. If this will be the last smaller plane you buy for quite a while, I'd go with Jim Koepke's advice and buy a No. 3 because, IMO, it's a little better at dealing with both issues than the No. 4 and because it will probably meet your immediate needs a little better. However, if you think you're going to continue to fill in the gaps (somehow our estimate of the size of a gap in tools that needs to be filled gets smaller and smaller as we go!), I suggest you get a No. 4 for straight through stokes and consider something even smaller than a No. 3 for spot removal -- either a Stanley No. 2 (if you can spring for the bucks) or a low-angle block plane from Lee Valley and add the tote and front knob and an extra 38 degree blade so it can serve not only as a block plane but as a bench smoother. I have all four -- a Stanley No. 2, the Millers Falls equivalents of a No. 3 and No. 4, and the LV low-angle block plane with the accessories. With those choices, the No. 3 is probably the one I use least. I use the No. 4 for straight through strokes on a surface and the No. 2 or the LV block plane for areas of tear-out and such.
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    I think David is spot-on in his description of the different uses for smoothers. The slightly wider No. 4 is easily the better choice for straight through strokes, but a smaller plane works better to smooth areas of tear-out and other spot issues. As a novice a few steps ahead of you in assembling tools, I predict your immediate needs will be more along the lines of smoothing sections of tear out, but eventually you'll need to deal with both issues.

So, I suggest that you think about not only this purchase but also the next. If this will be the last smaller plane you buy for quite a while, I'd go with Jim Koepke's advice and buy a No. 3 because, IMO, it's a little better at dealing with both issues than the No. 4 and because it will probably meet your immediate needs a little better. However, if you think you're going to continue to fill in the gaps (somehow our estimate of the size of a gap in tools that needs to be filled gets smaller and smaller as we go!), I suggest you get a No. 4 for straight through stokes and consider something even smaller than a No. 3 for spot removal -- either a Stanley No. 2 (if you can spring for the bucks) or a low-angle block plane from Lee Valley and add the tote and front knob and an extra 38 degree blade so it can serve not only as a block plane but as a bench smoother. I have all four -- a Stanley No. 2, the Millers Falls equivalents of a No. 3 and No. 4, and the LV low-angle block plane with the accessories. With those choices, the No. 3 is probably the one I use least. I use the No. 4 for straight through strokes on a surface and the No. 2 or the LV block plane for areas of tear-out and such.
    Michael, you mentioned the LV Low-Angle Block Plane. Well, I have one all decked out with the tote & knob and I absolutely love it. While it is about the size of a #2 in most respects, it has quite a bit more hand room. I have mine outfitted with the standard 25 degree blade for most of the things I use it for. However, I have a 50 degree blade and a 38 degree toothed blade for working highly figured woods and dealing with tearout. It's an amazing piece of iron, and I use it all the time. I have a Stanley Sweetheart L-A block plane that I use for more typical block plane things.

2013-02-04_11-51-36_575.jpg2013-02-04_11-53-10_522.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Getting to finish up a little table. Needed to bevel the edges, soSDC14272.jpgA Stanley#1203 to rough it out, then a Stanley #18 to smooth it down. Tried a #5A ( 5-1/2 size) to smooth out the top, and will go back over it with a M-F #8SDC14274.jpgSDC14227.jpg unless you fellows think a #6SDC14225.jpgwould work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Michael, you mentioned the LV Low-Angle Block Plane. Well, I have one all decked out with the tote & knob and I absolutely love it. While it is about the size of a #2 in most respects, it has quite a bit more hand room. I have mine outfitted with the standard 25 degree blade for most of the things I use it for. However, I have a 50 degree blade and a 38 degree toothed blade for working highly figured woods and dealing with tearout. It's an amazing piece of iron, and I use it all the time. I have a Stanley Sweetheart L-A block plane that I use for more typical block plane things.

2013-02-04_11-51-36_575.jpg2013-02-04_11-53-10_522.jpg
    I have mine decked out with handles as well and it is a an amazing little Baby BUS. I wouldn't want to smooth a large table with it but it is perfect for touching up tearout spots, or making chamfers.

I thought I'd post an update to this thread. As I mentioned earlier, I went ahead and ordered the Wood River #4 a few weeks ago. I haven't done much with it yet, other than sharpening the iron and a few tryouts on some pine. The other day I was planing the edge of a piece of two-by-four with my jack plane and grabbed the Wood River to try a few strokes. After a few attempts at adjusting the iron, I found the mouth clogged so I removed everything to make some adjustments. To my surprise, I found numerous gouges in the front edge of the cap iron. I don't know if I just did something wrong in setting up the plane or if metal is just too soft, but it was kind of a disappointment.

Blog Entries
    Both are viable choices, but I go with the #3. Granted, my hands aren't overly big so it fits fine, but the main reason is that I use a #3 as a shaper and as a block substitute. Additionally, it does a great job of final smoothing, just as the #4 does.

That said, I've somewhat culled my herd of LN bench planes and would not choose a WR either. For me, those smoothers are too heavy to do the kind of work I'm used to with them.

Cap irons are always made out of soft material and they are ground at a low angle so they dent up very easily if you set them close without a secondary bevel. If you think it came that way exchange it (contact WC, if they're smart they'll just send you a replacement cap iron). Regardless, whether you keep it or exchange it, put a 50 degree or so secondary bevel on the tip of the top/outside (not the mating surface). This will make it work better if you use it to prevent tearout and keep it from chipping. This is one reason I like the old style CBs better than the supposedly "improved" ones.

BTW, if you were not setting it very close I highly doubt it chipped in use. Unless you are pretty sure you did something to it just try to get a replacement anyway. WC should give you the benefit of the doubt...all of their competitors would.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Rob

I've used my Woodriver #4 V3 extensively for over a year. It's the plane I drag along when I'm working outside my shop and I use it the most in the shop. So far there isn't any hint of damage to the cap iron. I agree with Chris - take it/send it back. Woodcraft should replace the cap iron.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks for the advice. I contacted Woodcraft and they are sending me a new cap iron.

I have a #3, #4C, #5 1/2 and a #7. For general planing, I find these will accomplish what I need. In addition to a Stanley low angle block, a small Stanley bullnose, and a collection of woodies, I'm plane poor.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Plane poor???SDC14596.jpg I think I'm the one that is plane poor....