Thread: Dust Particle Counter

Dust Particle Counter

I have been reading threads about dust collectors and down draft sanding tables. I have a powerful cyclone but would like to see how effective my system is.

I am investigating a dust particle counter and would like recommendations. Do they show particle counts by size range? Are there any that have outputs for a computer and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have been reading threads about dust collectors and down draft sanding tables. I have a powerful cyclone but would like to see how effective my system is.

I am investigating a dust particle counter and would like recommendations. Do they show particle counts by size range? Are there any that have outputs for a computer and reasonably priced.
    Larry,

I use this one, the Dylos DC1100 Pro, recommended by Bill Pentz. I've been using it since 2012.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

dylos_particulate_monitor.jpg

It has two particle size ranges. I think it has a computer output but I haven't tried it. One comment on Amazon is the "built in software and firmware is beyond terrible". I usually use it in the Monitor model which causes it to periodically sample the air and stores the samples in a list. I use the continuous mode when testing something. I don't know what "reasonably priced" means to you.

JKJ

3. I have the same Dylos. I like that I can see how dusty certain operations are (sorting through a woodpile generated a surprising amount of dust). I let it run in continuous mode most of the time I'm in the shop. If I see levels rising, I'll turn on my overhead filter. It's nice knowing it works because when I turn it on, the dust levels drop. When I've generated a lot of airborne dust, I turn on my dust collector with an open gate. This very aggressively lowers the dust levels. I highly recommend one.

I have the same monitor but haven't mounted it yet. I haven't decided how I want to do that yet since it looks like the intake and exhaust are on the back side of the unit which should preclude having the back against the wall. To those of you that have the Dylos, do you mount it sideways or somehow just set it up on a shelf?

5. I have mine setup on a shelf. I also periodically move it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    I have the same monitor but haven't mounted it yet. I haven't decided how I want to do that yet since it looks like the intake and exhaust are on the back side of the unit which should preclude having the back against the wall. To those of you that have the Dylos, do you mount it sideways or somehow just set it up on a shelf?
    I put mine on the top of a wire shelf unit, about head height. The Dylos is not positioned against the wall. If the shelf is against the wall I would turn it sideways. Remember to gently blow any dust out of it about once a month or so, as per the maintenance section in the manual.

JKJ

The dust extraction section of the Aussie Woodwork Forum has a thread or two on making a particle counter for about a hundred bucks and a wearable version too. The wearable one will tell you what you are breathing as you work. I have a Dylos but haven't used it much but will in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    The dust extraction section of the Aussie Woodwork Forum has a thread or two on making a particle counter for about a hundred bucks and a wearable version too. The wearable one will tell you what you are breathing as you work. I have a Dylos but haven't used it much but will in the future.
    There's some good information there. Go to the HAND TOOLS & MACHINERY Forum then to the DUST EXTRACTION Sub Forum. Find a thread titled "Developments in Dust Sensor tech".

I've taken a deep plunge into that rabbit hole. I'm nearly done with a wearable version that includes a built in LiPo battery and WiFi communication to both a Tablet used for real time display and to my PC for data logging.

It's certainly not a turn-key solution but it's been a lot of fun.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

David, that sounds like a device worth having. There is so much information in that sub forum but it is not as well known as it should be which is a shame.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I put mine on the top of a wire shelf unit, about head height. The Dylos is not positioned against the wall. If the shelf is against the wall I would turn it sideways. Remember to gently blow any dust out of it about once a month or so, as per the maintenance section in the manual.

JKJ
    I have a similar Dylos unit. There are a few options depending on the particle size it is optimized for and if it has a computer connection.

I must have missed the info about blowing out the dust. The unit has a fan to move fresh air through the sensor, so I assumed that it could keep making accurate measurements.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have a similar Dylos unit. There are a few options depending on the particle size it is optimized for and if it has a computer connection.

I must have missed the info about blowing out the dust. The unit has a fan to move fresh air through the sensor, so I assumed that it could keep making accurate measurements.
    Here is the paragraph, if you need it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Care and Maintenance

The DC1100 is essentially maintenance free. The unit may, however, require occasional
    cleaning if used in a dusty environment. In this case, cleaning once a month should be
    sufficient. Cleaning is simple - use compressed air, such as from any of the available
    “canned air” products, to blow into the openings in the top rear of the DC1100. It is best
    to perform this operation while the unit is turned on so that the fan is running and will
    draw out any dust blown free. Do not insert the “straw” of the duster or anything else
    into these openings. A few seconds should be sufficient to dislodge any dust clogging the
    inside. Do not attempt to open the unit as this voids the warranty and may result in
    exposure to laser radiation. When the DC1100 is not in use it is best to store or cover it
    such that it will not accumulate dust or dirt.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put mine on the top of a wire shelf unit, about head height.
    Are you in my shop?

Same here, in a part of the shop that has some air flow and is most likely to be the most polluted (farthest from the door, which is always open).

I use mine all the time and love it. I keep my respirator on until the Dylos reads ambient levels of particles. On a very small shelf, in my case. It's amazing both home many particles are produced by certain activities in the shop, as well as how quickly my Jet air cleaner removes them - especially when set on high.

Highly recommended.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I use mine all the time and love it. I keep my respirator on until the Dylos reads ambient levels of particles. On a very small shelf, in my case. It's amazing both home many particles are produced by certain activities in the shop, as well as how quickly my Jet air cleaner removes them - especially when set on high.

Highly recommended.
    If you're like me, you're probably surprised at how much cleaner the shop air can be than outdoor ambient conditions.........Rod.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    If you're like me, you're probably surprised at how much cleaner the shop air can be than outdoor ambient conditions.........Rod.
    absolutely true, Rod. Shop is also much cleaner than living room or kitchen as well