Thread: Portable Carving Bench Planns Needed

Portable Carving Bench Planns Needed

Hi,

I am looking for plans/ideas for a portable or near portable carving bench. It should be one that I can sit on while I carve and be able to attach a carving vise.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Scott landis's The Workbench Book. Has at least one that I remember. He used it with a versa-vise, it was a pretty clever rig as I remember. If you can't find it let me know. Perhaps your library can get you a copy of the book. Or I can send a copy of that bench to you.

Jim,

A copy would be great if you do not mind. Your holding device was very clever. If I build a carving bench I may use your design for the holding device.

Thanks,

Bob

Here's some pictures of mine, based on one I saw in WCI magazine. I use a "poor man's " vise on it, but it could be used with a carving arm or other positioners. It folds up flat. I have found it very useful. I have since replaced the tightening knob with a larger handwheel, and I have added a notched piece that holds a clipboard with my reference material right above the vise.

205743-438x.jpg205745-438x.jpg205744-438x.jpg

Mike,

I do like the changes you made and the "poor mans vise" looks like it does the job.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Bob--my ideal portable carving unit is an old oak school arm desk that I clamp on my carving table top(approx 1 1/2' x 2' thick) that has my vice on it. I clamp it to the arm desk with a couple c clamps to where it is just in front of you--it is very sturdy and your box of tools can be put on shelf under seat.--it works good for any size carver. Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the idea. I had considered a folding school desk with the large top, but did not have any luck locating one. May when we get back to MN I will start looking again.

Bob