Thread: Mounting a table saw motor - help please

Mounting a table saw motor - help please

I am in the process of assembling my new TS256 10" table saw and have arrived at the part where the motor mounting plate is to be fitted to the cast iron mounting bracket. The TS256 is almost an exact copy of the Delta 36-650 except when it comes to the motor mounting plate installation. The attached PDF shows the installation instructions for the Delta and the two photos show the actual items I have on my saw.
    The question is - does anyone have a similar motor mounting on their saw that they could photograph to show me how it should be installed and/or explain in words of one syllable (or less) how the spring/pin/mounting bracket go together preferably without me losing the tips of my fingers or causing me any bodily harm. I suspect the spring is required to exert downward pressure on the mounting plate to counteract the belt tension and prevent the motor from "bouncing" during startup or allowing the belt to slip when under load.
    All responses will be gratefully received.
    I forgot to mention - I found the Delta manual online and my "copy" saw assembly instructions are woefully inadequate. In fact, the assembly instructions do not make any reference to a spring at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alan Jolly; 02-02-2013 at 2:37 AM.

Not familiar with this model, but had an old Cman that had the motor hanging out the back of the saw. It hung on a bracket and the weight of the motor kept the belt tight, and the motor tilted with the blade when you turned it to an angle. If it is like that, you may not need the spring, as it needed all the weight to keep the belt tight. Mine had just one belt. Unless the spring adds to the tension on the belt, which would be a good thing.

It looks like they intend the steel pin to pass through the coils of that spring. My guess is that it's intended to provide some tensioning of the belt by pushing that plate in the direction the weight of the motor would take it anyway.

My guess was the same as yours John, that the pin is to somehow go through the spring coils and the assembly applies pressure in the direction of the motor weight to keep a fair degree of tension on the belt. The issue I had was that the tension on the spring when it was sitting where I thought it should to do that, was so great that I was unable to align the motor plate holes to insert the pin (hence my comment about losing a finger tip).
    That's why I was hoping someone out there in Sawmill Creek land would have a photo showing just how the assembly sat.
    My other thought was to rush into the store and inspect an assembled saw. The only issue with that brilliant idea is that because I live in a rural area, a trip to a store that's likely to have a saw on display is a 5 hour round trip.

Did you buy this saw from a store or website? If it were a Grizzly you could call customer service and get some information, so you should expect the same from the company that sold it to you.

The saw was purchased at a discounted price through a website. I'm not in the USA so the customer service here, in general, isn't what you'd receive from the likes of Grizzly. This morning I spent a half hour on the web and have tracked down the importer/master franchise holder so have emailed a "please help" to them. As it's now Sunday morning here, I'm not expecting a response for a couple of days. I'll let you know how I get on.

Good luck!

Well the saga of the motor fitting has been resolved. I spoke to a couple of very friendly people at the master agent and they both explained and backed up their explanation with step by step photo's of how to fit the motor. It seems I was on the right track however I was being a bit cautious. The following photos show the easiest way to fit the motor plate and spring. Basically a 12mm diameter x 85mm length rod is used to hold the spring in place. The mounting plate is offered up to the cast bracket against the spring tension (not the easiest job in the world) and the pivot pin is driven through the bracket. As the pivot pin goes in, the rod is driven out. Hey presto, all is in place.

motor_pin_insertion.JPG motor_fitting_side_view.JPG motor_fitting_spring_position.JPG motor_fitting_drive_pin.JPG