Thread: A newbie introduction with pics......

A newbie introduction with pics......

I've been lurking long enough.

Since first starting to turn last August, I've been turning green wood, so the process to get to finished pieces has been slow, but the wood in bags is starting to pile up, so I should be getting a rhythm going soon. I've joined my local turning guild and between info from other turners and the endless info on the internet, I feel like I'm getting better as a turner, but of course have a long way to go to reach the skills I see from other turners on the forums.

My photography leaves a bit to be desired as well, but here are a couple pieces I've taken to completion since getting some wood dry enough to finish turn.

All the wood is local birch. Some came from a stump pile left from clearing my property and some as a byproduct of cutting firewood.

This little bowl came from a stump with some root burl...Lots of spalt and some interesting mineral stain. A coffee fill on the side where there was a void...finished with WOP. It's 8.5" x 2" tall

I've got to work on getting better lighting for photos, but here is a birch crotch made into a shallow bowl...Finished with WOP as well and measures 9" x 2" tall....Finally started signing my pieces too.

All comments appreciated. .......Rob

Welcome to the Creek Rob. Very nice work on both pieces but my favorite is the birch stump piece, beautiful piece of wood and it deserves to have your signature on it as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, hard to believe you're a newbie with these two in your portfolio.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Rob,
    You have only been truning for 5 months, but by the looks of these pieces it seems like much much longer. Both pieces are classic styles and are very nice. Keep up the good work and keep posting your next projects. Well Done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Rob, welcome. My first reaction was, "Wow. Fantastic lighting and photography!" You say that is local birch. What part of the country?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Welcome Rob. Very nice bowls and that wood is beautiful.

Welcome to the Creek Rob. Very nice turnings. That root burl is beautiful. Glad you found us and please keep those pictures coming!
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 02-02-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Great looking wood and a great job done with it. Enjoy!
    C&C WELCOME

Wow!! Thanks for all the warm welcomes and kind comments on my turnings!!....Much appreciated and I will be back with more pics as my projects evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Rob, welcome. My first reaction was, "Wow. Fantastic lighting and photography!" You say that is local birch. What part of the country?
    I'm in central British Columbia, Canada, Brian......Not much for really interesting wood to turn here as the forests are mostly coniferous softwoods. I'll be making the most of the birch (Which there is lots of here). As well as any opportunities to get wood from yard trees that might come down in the area.

I've been spinning some bigger wood lately, as I upgraded to a second hand 18x47 CT128 Busy bee lathe (Same as a Laguna I believe).......Trying to get my supply of dried wood built up.

Very nice lathe Rob. I'll never upgrade my lathe, but when do, that is the size I am eyeing. (In the form of a Grizzly G0733)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Welcome to the Creek Rob!
    Those are both beautiful bowls, nice job on the forms and the wood on the 1st one is awesome! Looking forward to seeing what's next.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Good work, beautiful bowls.

Welcome Rob, great looking bowls.

Welcome to another BC 'er, a.
    Nice bowls for sure. I have always found the turn from side to bottom in the top photo one of the most difficult to do.
    Don't apologize for using birch and don't wait for it all to dry. Turning green to finish is one method that a lot of Creeker's really enjoy.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Welcome to another BC 'er, a.
    Nice bowls for sure. I have always found the turn from side to bottom in the top photo one of the most difficult to do.
    Don't apologize for using birch and don't wait for it all to dry. Turning green to finish is one method that a lot of Creeker's really enjoy.
    I haven't tried turning green to finish yet. I'll have to give that a go.

I wasn't really apologizing for turning birch. It was more of a "whine", because it's virtually the only hard wood I have here to turn...lol (Although it is fantastic wood). A little more variety would be nice. Having said that, I haven't tried turning poplar or cottonwood yet and I've seen some nice turned examples of both...We have some native juniper here as well for smaller turnings.

Thanks for the welcome and kind comments!