Thread: Why So Few Strike-Through Chisels?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Quote Originally Posted by Brody Goodwine View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Just FYI i'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just looking at it from an open minded POV and not seeing the logic.

Derek/Glenn, you don't have to use a steel hammer with a strike through. It'll handle mallet/dead blow/anything without damage. You can also be certain your force will be more accurately transmitted without the disconnect of a ferrule, another pro for the strike through.

Steve, I keep mine at 27deg and 6000 grit, so I'm confident my cheap chisels are sharper than most of their bretheren. I agree stronger alloys hold their edge better, that's why i'm here asking why nobody uses these better alloys in what seems to be a better chisel design.

David, weight matters a bit, but frankly a few ounces should be a non issue to any adult, especially one with a mallet in his other hand. I'm sure they would cost more to produce, but lets be fair there are plenty of woodworkers happy to pay top dollar for top tools.

Zach, what is inherently bad for cabinetmaking if a strike through chisel was produced in the same config of your favorite chisels? I'm not trying to talk up my cheap Stanleys, i'm trying to figure out why higher end companies don't adopt the more flexible/stable/durable design.

Archie, thanks! I'll look into those everlasts. Any background on the steel? Other issues?

Jim, I don't really get the "balance" complaints on such a light tool. I'm all ears (eyes), but unless you're hand cutting dovetails all day I just don't see it, particularly since most chisels are fairly tip heavy. I do like your handles since i too rarely use a hammer with mine, though the grippy rubber handles serve the same purpose.

Richard, wouldn't damaged wood from striking dig into your palm all the same? Both seem easily fixed if you're being that rough. LMAO at the deep woods chisel maker comment.
    Brody, if you like to power your chisels with a hammer then wail away, steel caps or not! Use those bad boys totally up and get some more when you need 'em or rehandle the ones you have. You are a woodworker, you ought to be able to rehandle a chisel in your sleep. Leave furniture to your heirs, not a chest full of pampered if not apparently unused tools being 'preserved' for some future generation. Keep tools in working order which is wholly different in most cases than showroom quality. If they're worth having at the end of your woodworking life, then great, maybe somebody will put them to some use after you.

Otherwise, you want somebody to open your tool chest and say "damn, he used the living, stinking hell out of these things and there's a houseful of furniture (and satisfied customers?) to prove it."

Cheers
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 02-04-2013 at 1:13 PM.