Thread: Card scraper hardness

Card scraper hardness

I would like to start a discussion about card scraper hardness. I have a favorite scraper which I use 50 to 1 over any others. Don't remember where I got it but I have had it for years . It is 1/16" thick and just a perfect hardness, easy to turn yet holds a edge for a long time. It is also 2" wide which I find to be very ergonomic and I find the non-flexing 1/16" to be very useful. I have always meant to have my friend Rockwell test it but never have and the other day I lost it. I was not a happy camper. I did find it eventually but the loss inspired me to start a batch of scrapers. So I have some O1 1/16" x2"x6" and will be sending 6 of them off to the heat treaters. I have access to a tempering oven when they come back from the heat treaters. So any ideas for a RC # .
    Thanks,
    Link

Any reasoning behind the 50. As in , because it is a thicker scraper one would go 50 however for thinner scrapers one would go harder.
    L.

I would stick with one hardness and match the thickness of the scraper to your preference.

I choose 50 because it's not too soft, but it's also not so hard that any decent burnisher would get marked up by it.

I don't know how well O1 will do for a scraper at spring temper, as I've never used it.