Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a good square... Not Starrett.

Check out the imports at a place like MSC.

Grizzly's great for stuff like that.

Blog Entries
    +1 on PEC. Very well made. Smooth action. Fit and finish on my new PEC's are at least as nice if not nicer than my new Starrett (I had to send the first Starrett back due to defect).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One more quick point on the PEC's, they are made in the USA.

I agree the engineer square is probably more accurate and going to stay that way, but for the way I use it, I really like having a sliding rule in my square. Especially the double square feature. I use it much more often then my Empire Pro now. I only grab for the empire if I have to mark out a 45.

I really like the Incra Guaranteed Squares. I dunno if their cheap enough for what you're hoping to spend?

Mitsutoyo makes a great square. Beware anything made in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I really like the Incra Guaranteed Squares. I dunno if their cheap enough for what you're hoping to spend?
    That's what I have and I love it. Solid tool.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

A used Starret from the 'bay. I've gotten several there and couldn't be happier. I've probably gotten 3 for what one costs new.

Worked my way through a 3 piece combo square set purchase last year and ran into all sorts of quality problems. Ruled out any of the cheap stuff, but hoped to get a mid range item for reasonable money.

Bought a nice looking Mitu which ticked all the boxes and was well priced (having the height of regard from years gone by for their stuff), but had to return it due to problems with the hardening (it broke due to brittleness) and tolerance of the rule retaining stud and the bore it fits in. Problems with the fit of the protractor/angle measurement ring too. They kindly replaced it without question, but this time the stud was too soft and bent when tightened. Plus the machining of the rule slot was poor - the bottom was very rough. Then tried a Swiss, with similar results - roughly machined, loose fit around the stud and not nice to use.

Eventually bit the bullet and paid out for a Starr with a cast head and having used it for around 6 months love it. Excellent fits, feels great in the hand, accurate, nice smooth action. Bough a small 4in sliding T and it was great too.

I have various Incra precision squares and they have been unfailingly good - my only slight concern relates to how the anodised aluminium may last long term. Beautifully made.

I didn't try a PEC (didn't know about them), they seem to be getting good reports. In the general sense I'm pretty wary of recent mag reviews because they don't seem to be bringing out what i found. (which may of course have been down to bad luck on my part)

It all (between return shipping to the UK and the like - and despite no quibble replacement by the supplier) the whole exercise cost me around three months and double the cost of what I had originally planned to spend. Talking to the various sales people it seems that there's a really aggressive price war going on in that market, and that some of the established name brands are really feeling the pinch - moving their manufacturing around in an attempt to source more cheaply, and as result running into some quality problems. Which may of course not continue.

My thought on this stuff is ideally buy only specific examples that you have physically inspected. If as in my own case distance prevents this, then maybe it makes sense to pay up for a high end model - one that's getting good reviews from users...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 02-04-2013 at 5:14 AM.

Actually, forget the new square. I was at an antique mall today and picked up an old Starrett for a pretty good price. It seems very square. However, it's dirty and doesn't slide smoothly. How should I clean it without damaging it? Here is a picture:

Also this little thing is held inside the square. What is it for? Marking stuff?

What you've pictured is a scribe (for marking lines, originally intended for metal). For cleanup, use mild hand did washing detergent and H2O. Don't use de-rusting agents on it; they might remove the graduation blacking

If you're looking for an adjustable square and you have a Sears near by check out the Craftsman adjustable squares. I just picked up a 7 in. and it is nice. It was less than $8 and the larger 16 was about $15. Best of all they are made in the USA and guaranteed for life.

As a (secondary) chemist, a good rule of thumb that may be applicable here is "like dissolves like." If it's dirty from grease/etc., use WD40 or another solvent to soak and clean it up. If it's dirt or water-based grime (spilled soda, etc.), use soap and water. I suggest an old (soft) toothbrush, they are great for this kind of clean up.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I was in the same boat as you a few months back, so I followed Bob's lead and just made my own. They work great, and can easily be done in a day using only hand tools.

http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2011/02/episode-33/

You need a Hardened Steel Square Head in your adjustable square if you want it to stay accurate

I have Tumico, and Starrett
    Carpe Lignum