Thread: Quality Chisel Set

Quality Chisel Set

I'm looking to upgrade my chisels. With the new LVs coming out recently I figure there must be a few people who jumped on that bandwagon and aren't using their old set anymore. If I buy new I'm looking at the LN 5-piece set without the roll. I'd consider something of similar quality as well, but I'm not really interested in Japanese chisels. I'd consider old too if the set is complete (ie one brand/style, sizes like the LN set, no odd skips,) they are top quality steel and they aren't pitted.

Matt,
    Just a thought, I went with a set of Narex from Highland. I know these aren't LN, but I like them. I no longer use my set of pre-Irwins with the blue handle, but these might not be what you are looking for either. If anybody else is interested in them let me know, they have no rust and are sharpened to a mirror finish.

I have the Narex as well. They make a nice chisel. I recommend them.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Why not go with the LV? You don't have to buy a whole set of them - just buy the ones you'll use the most. I have a set of LV and a set of LN and they're both nice, but the LV holds an edge longer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Because I'd really like to spend in the $200 region. But you have a point if I can figure out which ones those are. Right now I have the MHG set which is relatively big and I don't really know which ones I actually use--I just grab what looks right. Probably more than I need if there wasn't always 1 or 2 waiting for a new edge (edge retention isn't great on those.) I bet 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 would be good and then I'm only a little over.

Why doesn't LV make an 1/8th? I've never had an 1/8th, and wished I had regularly.

Blog Entries
    What is an MHG set?

It's a german brand that hartville tool sells.

I have the MHG set and they were ok to start with but I have slowly been buying the LN chisels, 3 so far (1/4, 1/2, & 3/4). The LNs are definitely a much better chisel to work with and the handles are just comfortable.

Wood magazine had a great article just a few months ago comparing numerous chisel sets. Seemed like a very well balanced and informed review.

Based on their findings, I bought the new set from Woodriver ($80?). Fit and finish is good, though they do look to need some flattening, as mentioned in the review. Great customer service from Woodcraft as well - one of the chisels had a loose ferrel, another had a mis-aligned ferrel; they sent me replacements instantly along with a call tag for the two I was to send back.

I like the shape and size of the handles though, not too small or too chunky. These are replacing the pre-Irwin blue Marples that will now be my jobsite set...

Julian

you could try to win this set here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ge-chisels-NIB

Matt I will sell you my LNs. I alway seem to grab my Blue Spruce or my can openers anyway. Plus I have a hankering to make my own.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Because I'd really like to spend in the $200 region. But you have a point if I can figure out which ones those are. Right now I have the MHG set which is relatively big and I don't really know which ones I actually use--I just grab what looks right. Probably more than I need if there wasn't always 1 or 2 waiting for a new edge (edge retention isn't great on those.) I bet 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 would be good and then I'm only a little over.

Why doesn't LV make an 1/8th? I've never had an 1/8th, and wished I had regularly.
    It seems that I tend to use smaller chisels. I almost never use a chisel larger than 1/2". So for me, I'd buy good chisels in the smaller range and buy cheaper large chisels. I agree about the 1/8". I have a LN 1/8" and appreciate it. It'd be nice to get a LV 1/8" because when I make really small pins (for dovetails) I have to use a 1/8" to chisel between the tails. I also have a 2mm Hirsch which is a bit larger than 1/16".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.