Thread: beveling a table's top

Cool beveling a table's top

Working on a Dinette table. Edges needed a bevel on them. Got out a couple planesSDC14272.jpg and bevel the ends first. Planes are a #1203, and a #18. After both ends were where I wanted them, I switched it around so i could do the longer front and back edgesSDC14273.jpg I used a #6 for this work. Cleaned it up with the #18. I also tried out a Union #5A as a smoother. SDC14274.jpgI HATE knots! Table is getting almost done, set the top on the base, just for a glimpse at what it might look like.SDC14275.jpg So far, all i have bought for this table project is a single bottle of glue Might gave it a few coats of BLO

And the finished tableSDC14280.jpgIt seems I had a chair to match up to the table, or is it the other way around. Amazing what a coat of BLO can do...

Nicely done!

A second table is almost finished. This time for a Grandson's TVSDC14393.jpgSame thing as before, start the bevel with a larger bench plane, then smooth that out with a block plane. Do the end grain ends first, and then the sides. Table is about 21" tall, by 35" long. Top is 1-3/8" thick. Bevel take almost as long to do as setting up and using a router, but, a plane leaves no burn marks...