Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

4 Feb 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope this finds each of you well and safe.
    We gathered with friends last night to watch the Super Bowl game as we do each year. It's always a good time and we don't count calories on Super Bowl Sunday. But....it's back to counting calories today.

We've made some new friends through our church and both the husband and the wife are interested in woodworking and want me to teach them some things about beginning woodworking and to help them make a couple of small projects pieces to start. They are excited about it and I'm excited because I get to teach yet 2 more people about woodworking. Needless to say...I love teaching or mentoring people.!!

My mandolin learning is coming slowly and I'm still learning various parts, pieces, and riffs on my bass skills. The LOML and I are talking about refinancing our house to lower the interest rate. We would drop almost 3 full points if we did. So maybe it's time we replace the 15 year old A/C system in our house and replace the drafty windows as well. We really could use upgrading both of those items. But...we are just in the "thinking about it" part of the talk.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

2. Spent my available time hanging two new shop lights above the table saw. Since we live in a house built in "48", hanging new shop lights morphs into upgrading an electrical circuit up to current code requirements, which includes adding a duplex outlet for the shop lights, replacing some metal clad cable with new, pulling out an old light fixture, running some new flex, moving a switchbox, and rewiring another overhead light.....

Spent the weekend hanging towel bars, cabinet knobs and artwork. Is there anything worse????

I need some ideas for a ledge shelf. Let's say that the shelf will be 4 inches deep, and three feet long. The 'hitch' is that the attachment to the wall needs to be blind.

The last time i did this type of shelf i did a blind dovetail with the clete being screwed to the wall, and the shelf slid onto the clete. I did these without a router table, in oak! Let's just say i learned a great deal about things i don't never wish to do again!

Anyone got any clever thoughts on how to create a ledge shelf with blind attachment to the wall? There is the clete arrangement mentioned above, or long screws into the studs and plug the holes, or ......????? HELP!

I've been wanting a Kreg Klamp table to use on cabinet construction projects for sometime but been to cheap to buy the completed factory unit. I purchased the parts from Lee Valley a couple weeks ago ($168 w/ free ship) and spent Saturday morning putting this together. Pulled out some 3/4 birch ply to make the top and used a piece of 20 year left over laminate for the the surface and after a couple hours it looked like this. The low part of the day was having to help the wife clean house in the afternoon.kreg klamp table (5).JPGe.jpgkreg klamp table (12).JPGe.jpgkreg klamp table (15).JPGe.jpg

Built and added a router table extension to my table saw.

At first, I used 1/4" acrylic as the insert plate, didnt like that, then I went to 1/4" hardboard, still, didnt like the feel.....

So I got the insert plate from Rockler on Saturday, and finished it up and mounted it.

Pics below.....
    image002.jpgimage001.jpg

Not such a good weekend. LOML was started on Lipitor by her doc last week, by 1:00 A.M. Saturday morning she was having a reaction to the drug that required an ER visit... Second one in 3 months. Yuck... Anyway, didn't get much sleep, my plans to swap ball joints and shocks on my truck got shot to heck. I did manage to get 3 Linux servers loaded, a 6TB RAID 5 array configured and shared out over iSCSI, and Red Hat clustering installed. Still working on configuring it. Mind you I am documenting this build to within an inch of its life.

Spent some time in the shop measuring and marking more sheet rock to continue the project of re rocking my shop. Need to score and snap one section, and then I need to do cutout to go around my sub panel before I can install the whole shebang... Then I move on to the bottom pieces. It's going well, but very, very slowly.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    This was the first weekend free for a while. After dog exercise, i milled the stops for the glass for my display cabinet. Sunday i had all four glass pieces installed before the Superbowl started. I used the half time and the blackout time to clean up. Worked out relly well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Spent Friday building 2 new 24"W x 7'T x 10"D pantry cabinets for the laundry room. Primed Friday evening, painted Saturday morning and spent Saturday evening bolting them together and securing in place. Had hopes of cutting the shelves and face frame Sunday then noticed the fence to my miter saw was bent. Thought some of my recent cuts had been slightly off. Had to order a new one so get to wait a week to try and finish.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.