Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this OUR George Wilson??? Great luthier video!

Is this OUR George Wilson??? Great luthier video!

I was wondering George, is this you in this video? If so, that is awesome! I found the video very interesting. I love your veneer saw at around 5:00 minutes in...

Yes, that's definitely George.

Man, George! You are like a rock star!

Could I get your autograph...on one of your hand-made guitars...for free?

Thanks for finding this. It was very interesting.

Nice video, thanks for posting.

Yes, that's definitely George. I don't know him in person but have seen several videos with him. Thanks for sharing this video. It doesn't only show his outstanding skills. Like with every video, that I've seen with him, I detected some great things, that make the woodworking easier. Nothing beats a view over the shoulder of a true craftsman and artist.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Fascinating. What craftsmanship!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Absolutely fascinating. A true artisan.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Had not seen it in several years,so I watched again. It holds up as well as THE GODFATHER. Glad Brando lost out to George on the part.

In case anyone missed it, that is part 1 of 4 parts. Almost an hour of viewing.

John

Well, someone posted links to the other parts while I was watching them.

As a harpsichord builder, I've watched these videos many times over the years. I still find them inspirational and make it a point to re-watch them every few months. In fact, I joined the Creek when I found out that George was a member here - I suppose with the hope that some of his exceptional skill would rub off on me - it hasn't! I'm so glad to see that George's unique abilities are appreciated here on the Creek.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

I have exchanged private messages with Mr. George Wilson.

Ahem.

Thumps chest.

Hoping I can drop by his shop some day for a tour...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I must apologize for the rather bad violin playing. The musical, consultant to Col. Wmsbg. got a friend of his to play the finished violin. He was not used to playing a baroque violin.

This movie was made sort of in the "dark ages"of tool authenticity in the museum. It didn't become a serious endeavor to make correct period tools until I was made toolmaker in 1986,and began too re equip many of the shops with authentic tools copied from originals selected by the curator of tools. I was only 33 here,and was still pretty new to the business of working in a museum setting.

I did not have time to make more correct 18th.C. tools. the "We are going to make a movie about instrument making" was sprung on me suddenly!! Many things were done that way,it seemed. It'd have taken me months to make authentic tools for everything we used in that film. I just wasn't given the time.

That's an original veneer saw.

The inlay in the spinet's name board was done in 3 hours flat,with the camera crew standing around waiting.

18th.C. builders used nails a lot more than we do today,out of practicality and speed. Even Stradivari nailed his violin necks on. We copied an original spinet here,using nails just as it had.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-23-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I must apologize for the rather bad violin playing. The musical, consultant to Col. Wmsbg. got a friend of his to play the finished violin. He was not used to playing a baroque violin.

This movie was made sort of in the "dark ages"of tool authenticity in the museum. It didn't become a serious endeavor to make correct period tools until I was made toolmaker in 1986,and began too re equip many of the shops with authentic tools copied from originals selected by the curator of tools. I was only 33 here,and was still pretty new to the business of working in a museum setting.

I did not have time to make more correct 18th.C. tools. the "We are going to make a movie about instrument making" was sprung on me suddenly!! Many things were done that way,it seemed. It'd have taken me months to make authentic tools for everything we used in that film. I just wasn't given the time.

That's an original veneer saw.

The inlay in the spinet's name board was done in 3 hours flat,with the camera crew standing around waiting.

18th.C. builders used nails a lot more than we do today,out of practicality and speed. Even Stradivari nailed his violin necks on. We copied an original spinet here,using nails just as it had.
    I notice that you failed to address my request for your autograph (on a free guitar).

I'm going to take that as a "maybe".