Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop tour 7C

Shop tour 7C

Good evening fellow woodworkers

This will be the second to last tour of my shop. Thanks for taking time to look.

I hope you have found them enjoyable and useful.

For those who are new here at SMC I have provided the links to all of the other tours
    Shop tour # 1 Main building
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17821

#2 Lumber storage building
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17916

#3 Monster lathe
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18192

#4 Work benches
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18204

#6A 16" Table Saw
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18645

#6B 16" Jointer
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18836

#6c Rare Radial Arm Drill press
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18970

#7A 37" timesavers wide belt sander
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19201

#7B 24" planer
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19463

Of all the tools I currently own this one is right up there as a real example of good american engineering. Here are the vitals

1973 Moak 36" super bandsaw - 24" Resaw Capacity

3000 lbs with the optional motor shown

Wheels are "carter Super rigid Wheels" high speed balanced up to 180 miles per hour! wheels are 36" x 2" wide. Blade lenght 19' 6"

Main table is 36" x 36" & 20"x18" auxilary table - Tilting via rack and pinion gear set -
    Table height 40"

Mechanically equalized upper wheel & lower wheel drum brakes

Motor :
    Super slow speed 12 pole motor ( 575 rpm ) : Frame is a 286T ( normal frame for 30hp motor)

I have only see 1 other saw with a super slow speed motor such as this one. They were an option, but an expensive one that was not often ordered. What makes this saw so exceptional it the 575 rpm motor which results in a SFPM of 5400 - pretty much the ideal speed for resawing and hand sawing ( all of the big Italian BS run at this speed for a reason ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

couple more pictues
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lou, that is a serious bandsaw. How do you move these tools into your shop??

Richard

Lou!

Now your talking! That is what I call a band-saur. And what is totally ironic is that as large as this beastie is, it can do everything the smaller 14 incher can. Nice set of upgrades you got with it as well including those carter wheels. This is also a first. First time I have seen brakes on both the top and the bottom. How do these equalized brakes work?

How do you move these things around? Richard, if you look at the pictures of my shaper that I posted, you will see a set of rollers underfoot. Lou, are you using anything like hillmans or GKS type dollies?

You will excuse me for now..... Need to wipe my mouth off
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Gorgeous saw! Love the Paddock guides -- very nice.

Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Lou!

First time I have seen brakes on both the top and the bottom. How do these equalized brakes work?
    Dev... Tanny GHE's (like the one I have ) also have dual brakes. Same as in a car -- in fact they are all auto brake components made by Wagner. A master cylinder feeds both drum brake cylinders. The hydraulic pressure equalizes to both cylinders.

Don't know if the Moak does the same (I think one photo says it does), but the GHE has a "sensor" that rides the blade and when/if the blade breaks, the braking system automatically engages...

Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane, VA

Lou, you got the biggest and greenest bread slicer I have ever seen! Seriously, that is one cool piece of equipment! Again, what a beauty of a shop.... but all that horse power scares the bejeebees out of me!

Corey

I take that back. My 416 pancake oliver has brakes on top and bottom. But the top brake only functions when things effectively go wrong such as a blade breakage. The everyday braking is done with the lower brake. I am going to look into these wagner brakes and i may retrofit them to the older saws like the Y-20 and Y-30.... if i ever ever get back to finishing the Y-30.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Lou, Thanks so much for showing all your great machines. I would otherwise never get to see those fantastic old machines. I consider it part of my woodworking education to know something about machines of the past. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Lou,

I really like that saw.....if it walks off, you might want to check my shop!
    It is really a beauty! I have seen a few big boys....this one is clean and ready to go...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Lou you certainly like SERIOUS machinery! You have another LUNKER!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lou,
    Great saw. Was the dust extraction port right at the blade a factory standard in 1973, or a later addition?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

For those who have asked how I move these pieces of equipment around, the answer is "pipe rollers". Just take your time and you are all set. The hickory flooring is very tough and really holds up to the abuse to trying to turn these machines.

lou

[QUOTE=Dev Emch]Lou!

Now your talking! That is what I call a band-saur. And what is totally ironic is that as large as this beastie is, it can do everything the smaller 14 incher can. Nice set of upgrades you got with it as well including those carter wheels. This is also a first. First time I have seen brakes on both the top and the bottom. How do these equalized brakes work?

Hi dev
    You make a good point about the utility of the saw. Because of the slow speed ( like the mm saws and other italian saws ) it is very comfortable hand feeding material through the saw. Size and scale are deceptive, in the pictures shown here I have a 1/2" blade on the saw. The "paddock guides" have 2.25" dia guild wheels.

Like bill has said, there are other good saws with upper and lower brakes. The moak uses a common cable that runs past the lower wheel and then up to the upper wheel. When you step on the cable, it shuts off the motor and then applies pressure to the brake drums on both wheels.

Yet another really cool and massive piece of iron. You need to include in the pics something that has scale to really appreciate the size of that monster.

Lou, you know you're going to have to infinitely expand your shop just to keep us entertained.

BTW the links/descriptions to 6A and 6B are swapped. not that it matters,
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 05-03-2005 at 1:31 PM.