Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Carvewright, coming soon - gloat.

My Carvewright, coming soon - gloat.

I got a good deal on this machine. A bit broke on it's very first run due to the OEM chuck being difficult, and then it was shelved for four years. New X-axis upgrade belts were ordered but never installed. New bits were also ordered but never been used.

It's been paid for and hopefully will be shipped soon. I'm planning on doing all the maintenance before ever starting it up. I'll also install the upgrade belts, and purchase/install an upgrade chuck, as well as dust collection port.

Then it's off to the races...

CarverwrightFront.jpgCarvewrightSide.jpgCarverwrightSpindle.jpg
    CarvewrightBelts.jpgCarvewrightNewBelts.jpg
    BitsetTools.jpgMemCardReader.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You certainly are an optimist! With the reputation of these things, and after sitting on a shelf for 4 years with issues, you show a great deal of courage with this purchase. Do you know what generation this machine is? Haven't they made a ton of upgrades over the years? 4 year old feed belts may not be a good deal either. Depends on if they use tape at the seam, or something better. I have 4 year old sanding belts that blow up the instant you turn on the sander. Good luck, hope you don't need it.

Are you always this encouraging? Like I said, I got a good deal on this thing. Worst case scenario, I sell it for parts on eBay.

I read all the bad reviews for this thing on Amazon, but also realized that at least 50% of those had to do with four things:
    1) The OEM chuck
    2) the sandpaper belt drive
    3) no dust collection
    4) last but NOT least, people did not do the maintenance.

I'm replacing the OEM chuck first thing.
    I'm pretty sure those new HD rubber belts will be ok. They are reinforced with Kevlar.
    I'm also going to purchase or fab a dust collection port so that dust won't cause so much problems.
    And I've watched all the maintenance videos over on Carvewright site, and plan to do ALL of them before ever starting this thing up.

If I have problems, at least I'll have done everything I can to head them off at the pass.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 02-05-2013 at 1:50 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I use the Carvewright system. I purchased a used A machine with much the same history as yours, original owner used it lightly then put it in the corner for years. After the initial problems were worked out my machine works great. Make sure you join the forum there, it's pretty much the same format as this one. Any quesitons you have will be answered by experts there that are more than willing to help.

Jim, with the big KOMO, I’m curious why you would be excited about the Carvewright.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Because I don't get to play with the Komo that much. It's cutting out cabinet parts all the time. And the owners want to charge big money for any use of it.

In short, it's NOT mine.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Tuscon Lawerence is a champion CW promoter and lover. Hook up with him and start your fortune and glory. Congrats. CNCs rock!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If they've gotten better since the first year, you should have some fun with it. I went through 3 Compucarve machines before I gave up on the system and made 24x36 aluminum extrusion CNC for about the same price. Don't regret it in the least. The things were dogs- looks like there's been some upgrades- I hope it's all good now. Grease the drive shaft before you turn it on, blah blah... I'm sure you've read all the things to do to "Try" to make them more reliable.

My problems had nothing to do with user error- the first run machines were honestly pretty horrible. The way I saw it, and with what I paid for Aspire, I think it's true, is that you're buying a CAD/CAM package at a reasonable price and getting an entry level chinese made cut cost toy machine for free. There are rabid fans of these machines that are willing to justify any problems, fix anything and say it's user error when there's a problem. I was drummed off the Carvewright forum with people telling me it was my fault, it was me, I was stupid and didn't know anything when the 3rd and final machine I got from Sears decided to not turn off the bit and drill through the height sensor on the first job.

Know the limitations of the machine, be willing to have some down time and be able to tinker and you should have fun. One other thing I remember is that the carving is pretty low quality. I thought it was pretty good until I built mine. I think it was a runout issue with the chuck- everything was somewhat fuzzy and left major wood fiber tear out that needed extensive sanding compared to what I get off my machine. Being used to a KOMO, I'm betting you're not going to be super happy with the quality off the machine, but it'll be fun.

Take care,
    Michael

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Arruda View Post
    the 3rd and final machine I got from Sears decided to not turn off the bit and drill through the height sensor on the first job.
    That's pretty funny right there...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yep. It's a low buck machine for sure. But it'll be mine. And like I said, the worst case scenario, I can always sell it on eBay.

I wish I had the motivation to build one. Perhaps eventually I'll do that.

We'll know fairly soon how good this one is.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

It's almost here... Circuitous route though.. From San Pablo, CA to Hodgkins, IL to Nashville, TN to GA? How odd is that?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

12. I love my Carvewrights for production violin building.

The software is killer as it was designed by the head of NASA's R and D it's some of the best I tested.
    Down side it's a small footprint CNC 14.75" x 1" x 10' or more.. so it not the best for cutting out bookend Telecaster body's quickly but it will do it as well as a full neck and frets
    slots. I find them fun to use and simple operate.

the first run machines were honestly pretty horrible
    The replacement chuck called the Rock and now the Carvetight was the fix in my shop... I still use the Revs A with 300 bucks in upgrades after over 5 years of using them.

There are rabid fans of these machines
    This is true but the carvewright owners are some of the best and willing to help out guys that are lost on how to operate a simple machine The software and CNC has earned it's place in the market and my shop.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-24-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Removed link to personal website

This my CarveWright with its very first carve - a dust collection port. I have installed the Kevlar reinforced upgrade x-axis belts, the upgrade CarveTight chuck (the OEM chuck was Horrible) , the Rock split collet, and have done all the recommended maintenance. This was the final upgrade and it works pretty well- even if I did use the machine to carve its own DC!

image-429126426.jpg

image-591130740.jpg

image-2313611488.jpg

image-3859396022.jpg

image-1632817436.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

And this is my very first paying job for it. This is right off the machine with no sanding. It's 14-1/2" square and made from Alder. A 1/16" tapered ball nose bit set on "best" setting took 3:18 to carve this. I'm satisfied the machine can do quality machining even though I need to tweak my design to prevent short grain crumbling.

image-939050544.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

And if Dan hadn't won my Stinger right out from under me I'd have never bought this one. Oh well.....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain