Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish - Patina?

Blog Entries

Finish - Patina?

aside for linseed oil - what finish do you apply to get such a patina (over time) as in this photo?

is there a trick to cause somthing to "age" somewhat within, I don't know... a month?

mp422_1.jpg

A small amount of black iron oxide in kusmi seedlac. Wipe on, let dry. Dampen rag with alcohol, wipe most of the seedlac back off. Repeat until you have the aging you want. Final coat of untinted kusmi to "lock it in". Wax to knock the shine down.

This is what I do, and what I did to my spice chest. It works very well. You can add a few hundred years in just a few hours.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 02-06-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hey Zach,

By any chance do you have a before and after picture?

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Hey Zach,

By any chance do you have a before and after picture?
    Ask and ye shall... something something.

cutting dados.jpgfinal corner.jpg

Plain old new looking walnut to grunge in about 2 hours. The moldings were made from the same tree as the side, so they had the exact same coloration.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Makes sense you know how! where do you get your seedlack and black iron oxide?

The Kusmi came from shellac.net (I've also used Thai seedlac and it works very well) and the black iron oxide is from a set of 6 different colors of oxides, sourced through earthpigments.com.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Should I order 1\2 lbs or 1 lbs? will 1\2 lbs go a long way?

I found oxides from Israel, should I also try brown or just black?

once I'm buying- will No. 1 Button shellac give a nice clear color on pine or is it orange\brown?
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 02-06-2013 at 2:12 PM.

Matthew, the wood itself is partly responsible for getting that appearance; so choose carefully.

Jack is of course right. Pine is difficult to age realistically. I would try a very light brown oxide wash, not black, for pine. Minimal pigment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I acually want to age beech, like in the photo. for pine I was only asking about #1 button shellacs color.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Ask and ye shall... something something.

cutting dados.jpgfinal corner.jpg

Plain old new looking walnut to grunge in about 2 hours. The moldings were made from the same tree as the side, so they had the exact same coloration.

Thanks Zack. Pretty interesting!

Dang gone I'm starting to think wood is cheaper than the finishing products!!

What is seedlack? Is it the same as shellack?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    What is seedlack? Is it the same as shellack?
    SeedLacs
    Seedlac is harvested from the sticklac by crushing and sieving to remove organic materials.
    The sieved lac is washed to remove insect parts and other soluble material, leaving the product we know as seedlac.
    "Seed" refers to the seed like pellet shape of this basic natural resin material from which all shellac is made.
    (Strain the liquid shellac through a paint filter or cheesecloth, to remove organic debris (proof this is an organic natural product). The seedlac color is influenced by the sap consumed by the lac bug & the season of harvest.

click on the link. Kusmi

Which of course brings up the next question: What is sticklac?
    Sorry, I know nothing about this stuff and don't ever heard these names. It does seem to be related to shelllac?