Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish - Patina?

It's the crusty stuff right off the tree (the bug goo left behind by the lac beetle)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It's the crusty stuff right off the tree (the bug goo left behind by the lac beetle)
    Yup. Our friend George Wilson turned me on to the stuff. Works a treat if you are careful with your brush. You don't want to stir up any of the bug parts or stick-leftover that doesn't dissolve in the alcohol. You can filter it but I've had luck with just being careful.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Aha! I understand.
    Because I live in another part of the world. it's often difficult to find the stuff you guys are using. Especially when you don't know what it is exactly.

I wonder though, wouldn't the patina recept work with amber shellac and some dark pigment too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Aha! I understand.
    Because I live in another part of the world. it's often difficult to find the stuff you guys are using. Especially when you don't know what it is exactly.

I wonder though, wouldn't the patina recept work with amber shellac and some dark pigment too?
    Yes, it should be just fine. I just said the Kusmi because that is what I use for this now. There are many ways to skin this particular cat.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

An alternate approach is to use an oil/varnish followed by a 'glaze'

Mix 50/50 BLO and any oil based varnish together and wipe on and wipe off (just like you apply pure BLO).

Then use a glaze or a brown pigment stain (gels work best, or you can even use the bottom of an unmixed can of pigment stain - the solids) to rub into the crevices. Wipe most off, leaving it in the creases. Let dry, then top with a couple more coats of oil/varnish.

Thanks for all the info.

Prashun is right, his approach will work well. I prefer tinted shellac as I find it easier to remove if I overdo it a little. And I like just using dried pigments rather than the solids in a can of stain, simply because I can make any color I want with the pigments, instead of having to rely on whatever stain I have (I usually don't have any as I almost never use "traditional" stains). And you have to be careful when applying the final coats of oil / varnish after glazing, as you can wipe it right back out again or smear it into a place you didn't want it to be.