Thread: Yet Another Lathe Upgrade Question

Yet Another Lathe Upgrade Question

I currently turn on a Delta 46-460 and it is a very nice lathe although the forward/reverse switch is starting to get a bit hinky. I would like a bit more capacity to turn larger salad bowls and platters though. There is a gentleman in the area who has a Nova 3000 with the outboard tool rest for $900. The Nova does not come with the leg set so I would bolt it to the workbench (massive and heavy) that my 46-460 is currently bolted to. Both the Nova and the 46-460 have 1 h.p. motors. I realize this would be a downgrade in features (variable speed) but an upgrade in capacity. Since the 46-460 is selling for $699 now I figured I could sell mine for $500 pretty easily. He is willing to dicker on price and I think I can get it for $700 if I throw in this big honkin maple burl I have. So the question is is it worth $200 to get more capacity while sacrificing the variable speed feature? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Gene, we all have different needs in lathes. Some are just plain preferences. I have turned on a nova for 20+ yrs and changing belt speeds is not an issue for me. Apparantly for others it is make or break. Only you know what kind of turner you are. Remember, a lathe is just a machine to turn wood, round and around. Everything else is bells & whistles.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Gene, that does NOT sound like that great of a deal to me. The Nova 3000 is an older model that the 1624-44 replaced. The Nova 1624-44 is on sale faily regular for $899. That includes a leg set and it's a newer design. That is the lathe I have and use. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $500 for a Nova 3000 without legs and no gimmes in the deal, but that is me. When I bought my 1624, 3 years ago I gave $799 with free shipping. Granted they don't come with the outboard rest attachment but a 15 1/2" platter bowl is fairly large and you can do that right over the ways of a 1624-44. Not to meantion the fact that you can rotate the headstock 45* and gain easier access to one side of a turning.

Don't let the size of the Nova 1624 fool you, I have turned blocks of green wood that I could barely hold up to screw on the face plate. You will want a ballast box if you do many of these. I haven't made one yet and just turn slow until round. The belt change is a little of a pain but I can do it in less than 8 seconds now ....so..it's more a luxury. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had VS...but I am still using this belt driven lathe after 3 years so.....

Just an opinion...and it was free!
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 02-06-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I just posted on another thread. If you go to the nova site where they sell refurbished items, there is a refurbished 1624 for $950. That is a 1 1/2hp lathe.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

But keep in mind that the usual "sale" price for the 1624 from WoodCraft and others is $899 shipped if you wanted a new one. You would just have to wait for the sale. They usually put those on sale 3 times or so a year.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have been told that those sales are a thing of the past. With the rising price of ore etc, don't expect them to go on sale for less than $1,100.00.