Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miter plane question (attention Rob Lee....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I'm perfectly happy shooting with my LA Jack (though I wish Rob would make me a hotdog, as I've thus far been too lazy to make my own).
    All kidding aside, how 'bout it Rob - a matching, hotdog handle for the LA jack? There's a huge existing base of potential buyers, and you already have access to the appropriate wood ...??

I have found that the closer my hand grip is to the cutting edge, the more I feel that I have control. For this reason I really like the LN #9 (same reason I love the LM 102) for trimming mitres. Of course the body of the #9 is well set up for mitering as well. The #9 represents an efficient tool for the task if you want a dedicated tool to shoot with.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    My guess is that ...

Hi Chris

If you read my article (above) you will discover that the LV LA Jack has the potential to out plane the #9, and that it can also be more comfortable and controllable than the #9 without a hotdog if you follow my handhold suggestion.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yep, I've read your article. It's one of the things that made me go with the LV LA jack instead of the no. 9 when I got a dedicated shooter. No regrets. If were making the decision again, it would be the same (when I said I'd choose the No. 9 just meant I preferred to the No. 51...for the few minutes I used it anyway which isn;t really a good evaluation).

Anyway, the LA jack is uber comfortable for shooting, I just like the roundedness of the hotdog in my hand, and I think thats the main reason I found the 9 so comfy. For most things, its probably pretty moot but when shooting larger pieces of harderwood, that require a bit more force there are times when a hotdog would be nice. Truth be told, those are situations that would not be issue if I was a more consistent sawyer and might be better handled by striking a line all the way around the board and simply clamping it in my vise to plane the end grain. Still sometimes its nice to really be able to but some extra force behind it. For me that extra forward force would be transferred through the palm and in those situations the hotdog would provide some extra registration and comfort for the palm.

Come to think of it, I don't think I want a hotdog per se, as I like the basic grip of the LA jack.... maybe more of a palm rest to cover and follow the edge of the side wing where my palm exerts force...something that uses the built in grip but just fills my hand a little more. I'll probably just get of my duff and make my own something one of these days.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-11-2013 at 3:24 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...