Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are 2007/2008 topics coming back to life?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why are 2007/2008 topics coming back to life?

Why are there a number of topics from 2007 and 2008 that have suddenly come back to life? Maybe Sawmill Creek needs a warning like other forums when you reply to old thread. Those other forums warn you that you are replying to an old thread and even make you check a box to actually post your reply.

Looks like the 3 below were all brought to life by people who just joined and making their 1st post.

Perry

Well, that tells me they are searching the forum for information and a question is raised or didn't get answered in a way that made sense to that particular person. How many times have we told a newby to look in the history? Not here, but some forums are downright mean about it. I opened an old thread on an A/V forum last week because it was exactly the issue I was dealing with. I made a disclaimer at the first saying I knew it was an old thread and to not kill me , and that I didn't want people to rehash everything that had already been said. Keith and Aaron go to great lengths to keep all of the history available to us. I'm personally glad someone is using it. As long as it is still pertinent it's fine by me.

The warning you mentioned would be a good way to let all of us know that it is an old thread we are about to resurrect. That would be good reminder, but still allow it to happen if the poster thought it was warranted. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Agree 100% with Jim.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Having the ability to revisit topics of interest seems inherent in a venue (magazine, internet forum, etc.) where people come to share their skills or learn new ones. This is why I contribute to SMC.

Blog Entries
    I'm with stupid... er, Jim Everything he said is exactly my line of thinking.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

. . . . isn't there a saying about "everything old is new again" . . . .

more seriously, got to agree with Jim

Blog Entries
    In the Neanderthal Haven Forum there is a Sticky: Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs to keep a lot of the old threads cataloged.

It is a convenient feature to help new members find information.

At the end of the Whirlpool Water Heater thread it was my recommendation that the Off Topic Forum do the same. It would likely be good idea in most of the forums.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Could this also be a fishing attempt of sorts? One of the topics I replied to was about time card/clock software. I did a quick google search and SMC didn't come up anywhere in the first five pages of the search.

I could possibly see some value to replying to an old woodworking thread. I don't see much value in replying to an old thread about water heater problems. The original poster probably long ago fixed the water heater or got a new one.

If your water heater is broken then start your own thread.

Blog Entries
    The bump was a thank you... even years after the fact, that thank you is nice to see, a reminder your hard work is appreciated.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I enjoy seeing what was said years ago and how it might apply to today's problems. On the other hand, it is not uncommon for an OP to ask a question that is actively being discussed the same day, why I don't know.

It's why I keep all the back issues of Fine Woodworking. I look into them regularly

The way I look at it is that it's a discussion forum, no one is forced to read or reply, so let people do what they want. One thing I will mention is that it's nice to have moderators that require everything is kept on a nice level of civility, but if you want to bring up an old thread, why not. If you want to start a new thread on 15" planers, or 8" jointers, or shapers; that's fine also, you never know when an interesting tidbit of information will surface.

Isn't the internet great?

A bumped lawn mowing thread has relevance in February??? Or EVER!!!???