Thread: Langdon Miter Box help requested

Langdon Miter Box help requested

Greetings to all! I have been a ‘lurker’, since 2009, and this is my first post. I inherited this MF Langdon Acme Miter Box from Dad some years ago (Number 74, size 2 ½). It’s missing the depth stops-the long ones that allow you to cut dadoes. No luck finding them, so I would like to fabricate a pair. If someone has a set, I would like to know the dimensions, i.e. overall length and width, overall length and width of the slot, and thickness of the material. Any pics of the stop, and esp. the knobs would be a big help. I found one post in this forum talking about depth stops, but they were for a 74c. Those are curved, and the stops I need mount on the flat spot in one of the pics I posted. Thanx in advance for looking, and any help anyone may provide… Oops, It looks like I put the carts in front of the horse.....

Blog Entries
    Kevin,

Welcome to the Cave. Hope someone can help you with your quest.

My first dados were cut on the sides of some shelves by a friend using his radial arm saw. Shortly after that all my shelves were made using stopped dados.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Try this gallery for a couple pics https://sites.google.com/site/langdo...lls/langdon/74. But they look similar to the ones on my 1954 74C.

There are some measurements in the gallery at: https://sites.google.com/site/langdo...xes/home/parts

I think however that the older models used thinner material and ordinary round head machine screws to hold them in place.

Interesting that you should be bringing this up. I just acquired one that is missing one depth stop and one or two other pieces. Our models look a little different, but based on the way your columns look, I'm think the depth stops might be the same. I'll make a drawing of the depth stop and post it later this AM.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 02-22-2013 at 8:44 AM.

I have a drawing of it but can't seem to attach a PDF.
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borTo...rBox-HowTo.asp
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

converted pdf to jpegstop-page-001.jpg
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Looks like you beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    converted pdf to jpegstop-page-001.jpg