Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I were going to buy ONE hand held router, what would it be?

If I were going to buy ONE hand held router, what would it be?

I plan to purchase a hand held router as a gift for my son. My only experience with routers is limited to my 2 PC routers: 6902 w/1001 fixed base for hand held trim flush, roundover, etc., and a 7518 dedicated to my router table. Both serve me well.

Assuming the gifted router will never be used in a router table, what is the sweet spot for hand held general purpose routers that will accept 1/4" and 1/2" collets? I guess HP is critical, as is a good base. Is a plunger type considered essential for general woodworking (cabinets, tables, book cases, etc.)?

I want to buy a top quality router.

I notice on Amazon a number of top name router "kits" that include both fixed and plunge bases....this seems to make good sense. All are around $200 which is on budget. Examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...rs+woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK...rs+woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC...rs+woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-6...rs+woodworking

Am I on the right track?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by scott vroom; 01-09-2013 at 4:42 PM. Reason: adding info
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The Porter-Cable 691 D-handle is hard to beat for a full size handheld, IMO.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would pick the Dewalt for the dust Collection. I have two handheld (Dewalt Trim size, and Hitachi 2.25 HP) routers and one in a table, and that is what I dont like about my handhelds. THey generate a lot of dust that is not easily collected. The Dewalt handheld does. IMHO!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Over at routerforums.com the Bosch is highly touted, I have an older Bosch kit and the only bugaboo I would have is that the standard Porter Cable guide bushings didn't fit.

I use the snap-in Bosch bushings but there may now be a base plate available ready for the Porter Cable style.

I used fixed based routers long before needing a plunger but these multibase kits allow for the best of both worlds.

I also like a D handle a lot.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-09-2013 at 9:52 PM. Reason: Removed forum link.

I like the concept of the Dewalt plunge base dust collection. I don't have the Dewalt but have the PC 890 with fixed and plunge base. I think the newer version of the PC 890 has the dust collection similar to the Dewalt.

I know you have narrowed your list, but if I had it to do again, I would strongly consider one of the compact routers (Dewalt especially). I'm not sure if they take 1/2" bits though, so that would be a major drawback.

I have the DeWalt 3 base kit. I like it a lot BUT, they have a magnet ring on the armature shaft to give the speed control feedback and this ring has been prone to breaking. It seems to happen more when used in a table (upside down). Replacing the ring is a PIA. When it breaks, the router runs full speed only.I haven't had any problems with mine yet, and I don't use in my table.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    The Porter-Cable 691 D-handle is hard to beat for a full size handheld, IMO.

+1. Have recommended this to a couple different people and have never had any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    +1. Have recommended this to a couple different people and have never had any complaints.

I have two of these, a makita trim, a dewalt 621? (the plunge), a 3hp PC in the router table. Still reach for that D handle most often
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 01-09-2013 at 5:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Many a wise man has said "if you can only get one router, make it a plunge". IMHO, this could now be modified to "if you can only get one router, make it a combo". You missed my favorite:

http://www.patwarner.com/5616pk.html

The Milwaukee 5616-24 combo kit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My first router was a porter cable 8529, I LOVE this router. I still have it and it is a SOLID performer. It can be used in a table and has some attachments for that. It is a nice variable speed slow start router. It has NEVER let me down. I will cry when it finally dies. They can be had for a couple hundred bucks if you search online.

http://www.remodelr.com/Prod/Porter-...FYqZ4AodrzMAEQ
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I'd go with the Bosch. I have a 1604- a forerunner of the 1617- I got 18+ years ago and it's still my favorite out of the seven I own. Runs strong, feels like it really is the stated hp and the bit is truly centered on the fixed base. They made an adaptor ring that you installed under the base plate for the PC guide bushings and I have used it with great success. My only wish is that the collets are a little beefier.

I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Cman pro 14 amp(2.5hp) var speed soft start plunge and fixed bases. Edge guide and soft case. On sale now for $143 online (I paid even less). The only complaint is I had to buy extra sub base plates to get bigger bit opening. Plenty of good reviews. Best router deal around IMO.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-14-am...3&blockType=G3

I would own two routers. One for plunge, the other general purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Over at routerforums.com the Bosch is highly touted, I have an older Bosch kit and the only bugaboo I would have is that the standard Porter Cable guide bushings didn't fit.

I use the snap-in Bosch bushings but there may now be a base plate available ready for the Porter Cable style.

I used fixed based routers long before needing a plunger but these multibase kits allow for the best of both worlds.

I also like a D handle a lot.
    I have the Bosch 1617 EVPK Fixed/Plunge set and I bought the Bosch guide bushing set. One of the bushings in the set is an adapter to allow you to use Porter Cable style guide bushings with the Bosch guide bushing setup and it works fine. The adapter screws into the baseplate and the PC bushings insert into the adapter. I love the 1617 great router I have used a ton since I got it year and a half ago. I paid $90 for it with some assorted bits used of CL.

I have the Dewalt DW618, and love it. I find it very comfortable to use free hand (light weight, comfortable grip, can easily reach the power switch without removing my hand from the handle). It also has plenty of power for semi-large bits (it worked well in a table with a lock miter bit, removing quite a bit of material per pass). I haven't tried a panel raising bit with it, which might be too much, but since you said he won't be using it in a table, I assume bits of that size aren't of interest anyway.