Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newest BLM HF with Void

Newest BLM HF with Void

My first HF with a void in it. This made things interesting during turning as I am sure a lot of you know. It was very interesting being able to see the cutter at work inside. Hollowed to "1/8, about "7 X "11 tall with finial. BLM Burl, Ebony Lid, African Blackwood Finials. I did not have any blackwood large enough to make a lid so I had to mix woods to finish this piece put I do think they match well together. Comments and Critiques are always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It tickles my inner finial.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wow, another beauty! And this time we can see the double finial! That's awesome!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Beautiful work with great wood, a good plan and even better execution.

Beautiful piece Tim! Form looks great and I really like the double finial (and that fact that you can see both), great looking wood too!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

"Wow, that's perfect!" That's what I thought to myself...but then I thought differently. Since you asked, and since you ALMOST nailed it, let me give you my thoughts.

The double finial is great, particularly since the void allows you to see the inside finial.

The shape and contour of the shoulders - you nailed it. That's what my eyes were drawn to first.

The void - love it!

The top/mouth and bottom of the HF are what distracted my eye as I followed the contour. IMHO, the bottom is a little bit too big. I feel like a smaller base would compliment the shoulders a bit better. And, the neck (for lack of a better term) would look better to me if it were more flat - or not there at all. I say this, because I've turned plenty of HF's with this neck, and I think it distracts from the overall shape.

I mention these MINOR nits, because I feel like you got so close to the perfect turning. Nice job!

Overall well executed. The finial size relative to the body I think is about 20% to tall. The ebony lid doesn't look bad, but it seems a small embelishment is needed. I like the semi-gloss finish as I'm not a fan of high gloss finishes on most pieces. The sheen on the finial does not appear to match the body, though. Not sure if that would improve the piece or not.

A very elegant piece and great execution of the challenge of an interrupted wall. I like the concept of the piece as well.

I would prefer to see it without the neck that rises from the top of the form. A continuation of the curve toward the flat, without the flare upward, would be more pleasing to my eye.
    I love the concept of a two ended finial, especially in this case because it can be seen from the interrupted side. Shape-wise, I would be interested to see a different concept, where the protrusion from the bottom of the lid starts narrow and spindle like, and then flares out to a wider endpoint in the manner of a pendulum. I feel this would present the impact of a 'weighted' finial cap and would seem less top-heavy to me.

Outstanding technique and expression of what I think are some very compelling artistic concepts! Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    Overall well executed. The finial size relative to the body I think is about 20% to tall. The ebony lid doesn't look bad, but it seems a small embelishment is needed. I like the semi-gloss finish as I'm not a fan of high gloss finishes on most pieces. The sheen on the finial does not appear to match the body, though. Not sure if that would improve the piece or not.
    Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Montgomery you bring up an interesting question. On the finials I sanded them to 600 which is as high as I have. And I used Ren wax on them. They are to delicate to use on the Beall buff. I have tried useing WOP on my finials before and have had no luck getting it to adhere to the african blackwood even with cleaning them throughly with mineral sprits seconds before applying the WOP. How do some of you finish or polish your blackwood or ebony pieces? I would be interested in hearing any suggestions on this at all. Thanks again for all of the helpful comments.

Lacquer. I never use oil base finishes for timbers with high oil content like cocobolo, african blackwood, bocote, etc.

"They are to delicate to use on the Beall buff."

I would challenge you to give it a try. Yes, it is intimidating. If you support any part of the finial that is in contact with the buffing wheel with counter pressure from your finger, you should be ok (usually). I've not had a problem with breaking a finial while buffing in the past.

Regarding finishing blackwood finials, you could also burnish after sanding to 600. African blackwood will take on a good shine with sanding to 600 (I usually also sand with 1500) and with burnishing with a clean piece of t-shirt.

Eric, I will give it a try and see how it works. Failing that, I will try the lacquer that Montgomery suggests, thank you both for the help.

Timothy, that is simply one gorgeous turning. I have to say that and really let you know that I think you did a great job (likely better than I could do...no, let's just say better than I could do).

If I had anything to critique about it, it would be that you NEED to edit your pics! No matter how fantastic the turning is, if the turning isn't perfectly straight, ESPECIALLY with a finial, it distracts my eye so much. So, download Picassa for free if you haven't already, and make sure you edit (straighten, crop, contrast, and color correct) your pics.

The only other thing I'd point out is that I think the onion is a little big on the upper finial. But I'm not a finial pro, so that is ONLY an opinion and not in any way worth any more than the cyber ink I'm writing with.

Now, that you can see the interior finial through the void is the chocolatty sauce on the triple scoop banana split super dooper sundae. Not that this entire turning is fantastic, but that makes it for me!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Timothy, that is simply one gorgeous turning. I have to say that and really let you know that I think you did a great job (likely better than I could do...no, let's just say better than I could do).

If I had anything to critique about it, it would be that you NEED to edit your pics! No matter how fantastic the turning is, if the turning isn't perfectly straight, ESPECIALLY with a finial, it distracts my eye so much. So, download Picassa for free if you haven't already, and make sure you edit (straighten, crop, contrast, and color correct) your pics.

The only other thing I'd point out is that I think the onion is a little big on the upper finial. But I'm not a finial pro, so that is ONLY an opinion and not in any way worth any more than the cyber ink I'm writing with.

Now, that you can see the interior finial through the void is the chocolatty sauce on the triple scoop banana split super dooper sundae. Not that this entire turning is fantastic, but that makes it for me!
    Thanks Mike! I feel like a complete newbe when it comes to photography but am trying to cope with the minimal equipment that I have. Steve S turned me on to faststone so I downloaded that yesterday. I have not had a chance to mess with it yet as I am still fighting a sinus infection. Didnt get off the couch much today. But I may check out Picassa as well. Thanks again for the nice comments, I really enjoyed turning this piece and looking forward to my next one.

I think you have done a fantastic job on this piece. I love the void and being able to see the double finial inside. Really nice!!