Thread: Laguna DC 2HP - Any experience?

Laguna DC 2HP - Any experience?

Due to height restrictions, the Laguna 2HP DC (cyclone) fits my envelope, the Oneida and Grizzly are too tall.

Any experience using this model?

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...tor-cyclone2_2#

The Rockler near me has them in stock, and I talked the asst mgr to a 10% discount if I get the Delta air cleaner at the same time. He said it's OK, but wants tio clear it with the mgr first, I am expecting a call today.

For any that might remember some of my previous threads, I want to locate the DC in my grage under my shop with the 6 inch main line going up thriough the floor, my biggest concern was make up air.

For starters, I am going to install the unit as planned and use opened windows for make up air. If I find that the use of open windows just kills on too cold or too hot days and my mini split cannot keep up, then I will modify the installation and plumb the filter only back up into the workshop so the air is returned.

THX

I have that dust collector. I can tell you my experience but I don't have any thing to compare it to. I have the DC in my garage (which is also my shop) in a closet I built for the DC to reduce the noise. I have 6" sewer and drain PVC pipe, with 4" connections to my tools (because that's what all the tools have). The DC works fine.

There are two collection bags, one under the cyclone and one under the filter. In my opinion - without anything to compare it to - the bag under the filter gets more swarf than I think it should - I feel more of it should go into the other bag. It's more difficult to get the filter bag off than to clean out the bin under the cyclone.

But it does the job for me as a single woodworker in my shop. I only use one tool at a time. Sometime I leave a blast gate open on two tools if I'm going to go back and forth on the two tools but most of the time there's only one blast gate open.

Mike

[Sewer and drain pipe is similar to schedule 40 PVC but with thinner walls. It's smooth walls. Mine is mounted against the ceiling so I was glad to get the lighter pipe compared to schedule 40.]

[I don't have any problem with make up air because I work with my garage door open and we rarely have bad temperature days in California.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use that DC. My shop is a three-car garage, although the DC only goes to two-thirds of the shop. I run it through 6" spiral pipe mains, with drops of 4", 5", or 6" flex hose depending on the tool.

On the plus side:
    * It is very quiet compared to most other DC units (although it still makes plenty of noise).
    * It pulls the dust very well from tools that have a good dust collection setup, like my planer (and even my wide belt sander, which is on the opposite side of the shop).
    * The included remote control is very nice.
    * The garbage can setup is very slick -- easy to remove and empty, and the casters on it are nice.

On the negative side:
    * It doesn't quite have enough suction to do a good job for those tools that don't have good integrated dust collection. I still get a fair amount of dust from my tablesaw, bandsaw, etc.
    * There are some minor leaks at the DC. They are small, and I can only notice them because I get a small amount of dust buildup over time at a couple spots on the DC. More of an annoyance than anything.
    * I agree with Mike that the plastic bag under the filter gets more dust than it should.
    * Replacement bags for the trash can are hard to find.

Overall, this was a huge improvement over the Jet bagger system I had before, and I'm happy to have it. But I would definitely upgrade to a 5HP cyclone if I could solve the height and noise issues.

I have never even seen it, but would give this some consideration...
    http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-fox%C2%...FUqf4Aodr3QACQ
    Seems like alot more machine for the same price.

I haven't used this one, but I do have the 3HP JDS version and am very pleased with it. It is definitely an improvement over the 1 1/2 HP Delta I had before. JDS does make a 2HP version. Something you might want to look at.

I have a 2 hp cyclone, different brand. I installed it in '05, name is Woodsucker. Had no problems with it, good machine, just wish I had bought a 3 hp unit. Saw a 3 hp Grizzly last week, it has a much larger filter. The widebelt sander I have is only 16" wide, but it could definitely use a bigger cyclone. The 15" planer is fine with it.

Where I work that DC is being used to collect brake dust on a test rig. I don't have any experience other than being impressed with its performance and relative lack of noise. One note that goes to the swarf comments: Our machine has a 1" hose from a metal box under the filter (no bag) back up to the fan housing. This looks to be for recycling the flour to reduce frequency of dumping the box. Clever. I haven't seen that in online pix so maybe it's modified (?)

Couple of Laguna Cyclone reviews

If you haven't already seen these, they might help your decision.

You Tube review of 2 hp Laguna mobile cyclone ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGLlE7KPyTo

2011 American Woodworker review of portable cyclone dust collectors ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41867550,d.aWM

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hartranft View Post

2011 American Woodworker review of portable cyclone dust collectors ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41867550,d.aWM

tom
    I dodged a bullet there. Last month I was really tempted by the Oneida "Smart" cyclone, but was put off by it being twice the price of the others; so I got a Grizzly. The review shows it doesn't do much. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burnette View Post
    Where I work that DC is being used to collect brake dust on a test rig. I don't have any experience other than being impressed with its performance and relative lack of noise. One note that goes to the swarf comments: Our machine has a 1" hose from a metal box under the filter (no bag) back up to the fan housing. This looks to be for recycling the flour to reduce frequency of dumping the box. Clever. I haven't seen that in online pix so maybe it's modified (?)
    I think that hose is to put a bit of vacuum under the swarf collection bag to pull the bag open and tight against the can. It doesn't work very well so if you have that DC, spread out your bag when you install it in the can.

I found some bags that fit this Laguna DC but I didn't buy them since mine are still holding up well. I probably should order a spare of each so I have one when the old one splits. I don't remember where I found the bags but they were easy to find.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think that hose is to put a bit of vacuum under the swarf collection bag to pull the bag open and tight against the can. It doesn't work very well so if you have that DC, spread out your bag when you install it in the can.

I found some bags that fit this Laguna DC but I didn't buy them since mine are still holding up well. I probably should order a spare of each so I have one when the old one splits. I don't remember where I found the bags but they were easy to find.

Mike

Mike, I have had more difficulty finding the bags than you did, apparently. When you come across them, would you post the source and let us know?

Well, wouldn't you know it. Right after posting above about how I've not had any problems with this DC, I went out in the shop today and the starting capacitor went bad. One of those Chinese caps. So I had to run out and buy a new cap, and I couldn't find an exact physical size replacement so I had to buy one that was physically larger so I could get back in business. I'll order one with the proper physical size off the Internet but that will take a week or so to arrive.

Mike

[I went and looked on the Internet and can't find a cap of the same physical dimensions. So I'll have to modify the unit to allow me to mount the larger cap. Another project for when I can get around to it.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-07-2013 at 7:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I dodged a bullet there. Last month I was really tempted by the Oneida "Smart" cyclone, but was put off by it being twice the price of the others; so I got a Grizzly. The review shows it doesn't do much. Whew.
    Worst review in the history of the world. No separation efficiencies or impeller sizes or blade design. Like comparing cars without telling you what engine or options each has- just how fast it goes. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kelby Van Patten View Post
    Mike, I have had more difficulty finding the bags than you did, apparently. When you come across them, would you post the source and let us know?
    I didn't find the place where I saw them before, but the bag that fits on the filter is a 14" bag. The "garbage can" is about 19" in diameter so a 20" bag will fit fine. If the bags you get are too long, you can cut them.

Looking on the web, I found several places that sell 14" and 20" bags, one of which is here.

Mike