Thread: What frequencies do the DC remote control switches work on?

What frequencies do the DC remote control switches work on?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here as I am about a year into my new hobby of woodworking.
    Here is my question.

As an avid amateur radio operator I transmit on multiple frequencies. I have yet to find out what frequencies or band(s) the dust collector remote switches operate on. The last thing I want to do is to key up the radio and the DC kicks on. Of course I am sure the switches have an over ride or manual switch. What frequencies do the DC remote control switches work on?

Thanks for your help

Jerry

Can't tell you the frequencies, but a few years back there was a thread about a woodworker, who when he powered up the DC using remote, neighbor's across the street garage door opened. He set remote to another frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Can't tell you the frequencies, but a few years back there was a thread about a woodworker, who when he powered up the DC using remote, neighbor's across the street garage door opened. He set remote to another frequency.
    Must have been a really old garage door opener. Most (all) went to rolling code digital years ago. You can transmit an RF "signal" on the same frequency all day and it won't open any of the digital door openers. I can't say the same for the cheap DC remotes but know the X10 and possibly Lone Ranger II are digital.

Sure seems to me any respectable ham would know this and know where to find the freqs. of these units?

A quick Google search returned this info from on remote maker:

"Remote Control Technology uses a proprietary digital FM coding algorithm. This means that the only way to activate a Remote Control Technology receiver is by using a Remote Control Technology transmitter. For more information on this coding, please read this press release.

. . . . the majority of Remote Control Technology's transmitters and receivers operate at 27 MHz. "

The at another link . . . .

"Several carrier frequencies are commonly used, including 433.92MHz, 315MHz, 868MHz and 915MHz. These frequencies are used because of national and international regulations governing the used of radio for communication."

Again Google is your friend.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.

I did use google, several times, I was looking for the remote frequencies for the DC RC switches specifically and not RC technology in general. I would be shocked if any was on 27MHZ these days. I was thinking it might be the 400 mhz band. I know the 433.92 would be a killer for me unless they do use the coding and I felt like the switches would not be, but I could be wrong. Since the RC uses maybe a milliwatt, I did do not want my several watts "getting into" the switch and causing issues. I sure would love to get one as it would make life a bit nicer. Thanks for your replies.

If you go to Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. a look at the generic wireless remotes or stop by Woodcraft or other WW vendor for a specific WW remote or ask someone on SMC for the FCC label info then go to FCC website and it will tell you the freq.

I don't have a wireless DC remote (I built a wired autogate system triggered by my machines) but have a cheap XMAS tree light remote that like most equipment of this type, had this on the back: FCC ID: PAGRC-001.
    Follow this link for the full info.This is just some of the info provided on the FCC website:

"1 results were found that match the search criteria: Grantee Code: PAG Product Code: RC-001

Displaying records 1 through 1 of 1.
    Name: Kab Enterprise Co., Ltd.
    Address: 21-1 Fl., No. 33, Sec. 1 Min Sheng Rd., Panchiao City, New Taipei
    Lower Frequency In MHz: 315.0
    Upper Frequency In MHz: 315.0
    FCC ID: PAGRC-001

Alan,

"FCC label info then go to FCC website and it will tell you the freq."
    That I did not know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you VERY much!

Jerry

Can't help with the freq, but my DC (garage) remote turns on the family room fan and light (50' away) every time I turn the DC off with the remote. I've trained myself to go inside and shut them off so SWMBO doesn't fuss at me.