Thread: Air compressor what do i need ?

1. Air compressor what do i need ?

HI all

first off i just want to say a big thank you for all the help i have been getting from members of this forum about how to use my New Laser cutter.

the next question i now have is this... i purchased a Morntech Laser and it came with a small should i say tiny air compressor to blow away smoke and when i asked the company for help about a couple of things they told me that the compressor that comes with it is not really up to scratch for helping make good cuts

so my question is what should i replace it with from Lowes or HD and do i need an air dryer or anything fancy to make this work correctly also what PSI etc should i set at any help would would be great.

i am now also thinking that the small blower that came with the Laser is more than liklely too small for the laser to get the smoke out quick enough so i am also asking for help in that direction like where to buy and what to buy ?

the laser seems like a good machine over all but i guess they cut ,many corners to keep the price low so i dont really mind these upgrades just need to make the right purhcases for the job

thanks in advance
    Morntech 130 watt 36 X 48 Laser
    Benchtop Probotix CNC router
    Benchtop Taig CNC milling machine
    Benchtop CNC lathe
    Benchtop Manual Mill and Lathe
    makerbot Replicator 3d Printer
    Owner and CAD designer makecnc.com
    location Indian river bay
    lower Delaware
    Ham radio operator and Electronics Hobbyist

San DiegoEdSapp Guest
    I use an airless compressor from Harbor Tools. Before you comment, I will tell you that I don't buy much from Harbor Tools - Most of what they sell is junk, but the airless compressor I am using is three years old and works just fine for my 60 watt laser.

Quote Originally Posted by San DiegoEdSapp View Post
    I use an airless compressor from Harbor Tools. Before you comment, I will tell you that I don't buy much from Harbor Tools - Most of what they sell is junk, but the airless compressor I am using is three years old and works just fine for my 60 watt laser.
    I'm guessing you meant an oil-less compressor?
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

No matter what kind of compressor you use, I recommend a moisture trap to avoid droplets getting onto your work.

I don't know what your laser requires for air. My Epilog only needs a small 10psi so an airbrush compressor works well, even for cutting.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

San DiegoEdSapp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Erickson View Post
    I'm guessing you meant an oil-less compressor?
    No I meant and airless paint sprayer compressor.

Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408